Skip to main content

I'd like to get thoughts from those who know of or have bought products from Dan Alexander. He seems to sell a lot of his stuff on Ebay. I have a Langevin DVC and Apogeerosetta into my 001 now (looking to upgrade to HD soon). Thanks in advance.

haze

http://
http://www.mp3.com/john_haze

Topic Tags

Comments

coldsnow Tue, 04/23/2002 - 14:03

I bought a couple things off him including a Dan Alexander Audio mic pre (it is basically a 1272) he says it's a 1073 without EQ because the 1272 wasn't a mic pre but it has 2 gain stages like the 1272. Anyways it is a nice product. I sold mine because I wanted a 1073 with eq, but was very satisfied with the mic pre sections. I will say he's not timely, but is honest, makes a good product, and has integrety.

MadMoose Thu, 04/25/2002 - 22:04

I bought the mic pre from a dealer, not from Dan. I've never met or talked to him. The wiring was clunky and bad. I'm not great at soldering but I think I could do a better job and I think my 9 year niece could do about the same. If I'm spending $1300 or more on a piece of gear that's hand wired it better be clean. Look inside a piece of Summit gear, Manley, Vintech, Daking etc. to see quality workmanship. Ever wonder why that power supply doesn't have a third prong for ground? Where is the ground? Oh, it's the mic on the other end. Maybe the one in a singers hand, maybe the bass plugged into the DI. Not too cool. Do a search at google.com for more. It's not all positive and glowing. He might be a great guy but his build sure blew.

anonymous Sun, 04/28/2002 - 02:21

Originally posted by coldsnow:
I bought a couple things off him including a Dan Alexander Audio mic pre (it is basically a 1272) he says it's a 1073 without EQ because the 1272 wasn't a mic pre but it has 2 gain stages like the 1272. Anyways it is a nice product. I sold mine because I wanted a 1073 with eq, but was very satisfied with the mic pre sections. I will say he's not timely, but is honest, makes a good product, and has integrety.

But a 1272 is not a 1073 without eq (a 1290 is). A 1073 mic pre section has three stages and 80dB of gain, while a 1272 has two stages and around 40dB gain. A 1272 can sound great, but different than a 1073 (though much cheaper).

MadMoose Sun, 04/28/2002 - 20:46

Originally posted by Produceher:
The Brent Averill 1272 is the most true to the original out there.

Very little modification.

Mercenary Audio used to make them also. Damn

True the original what? There never was a 1272 mic pre. The 1272 was a line amp made from transformers and a BA283 card (plus a few more parts). Sorry to burst your bubble there.

x

User login