Skip to main content

How would the Neve 1073 mic preamp clash wit the u87?
then into a Manley El-Op comp? For R&b/rap vocals, will we get a pro sound? We currently use 737s with our u87s, will we notice a big difference by replacing the mic preamps?

Comments

AudioGaff Mon, 08/23/2004 - 23:13

Clash is not the word I would use. That combo has been used at least thousands of times. It will be different using a 1073 then the 737. How different or which is better has little to do with which one you use and more to do with how it it is used, the talent it is used on, the monitoing system it is played on and what you consider different and or better in the end.

Let's put it this way. With any combo used from the gear you mentioned above there shoud be no excuse in not getting a pro sound that is due to the gear. The talent and how the gear is used are two completely different things but are still related to the final result.

KurtFoster Tue, 08/24/2004 - 09:39

Like Gaff says the 1073 is a great pre. The U87 is a great mic. The ElOp is a great compressor. There's no reason they all won't play together well.

I am noticing a lot of people are asking questions like this one. I don't understand this as it seems to me that these types of questions are popping up because people want to buy something new but they don't seem to know what it is.

I suggest that you just try it for yourself and see. It's pretty difficult to damage anything when just trying it .... and if you don't like it, take it back and get something else. Like Gaff says, "your mileage may vary". There are too many variable for us to predict what the results of your use will be.

If you are not sure what it is you want to buy, perhaps you really don't need it?