Skip to main content

Is the difference ONLY the direction of gain stages on the Line Input. ie Only the WAY it clicks through the steps? Or are there more important SOUND QUALITY related differences?

Assuming they look almost identical (do they?) Then, if, say, you were in an other country and hired a 1073 and a 1089 turned up instead would you:

a) Be pissed off & send it back
b) Use it anyway because there is no sonic difference from a 1073 appart from the line legending and 'direction of twist'

Thank you,

Jules

Topic Tags

Comments

MPlancke Sun, 06/17/2001 - 08:15

Originally posted by Julian Standen:
Is the difference ONLY the direction of gain stages on the Line Input. ie Only the WAY it clicks through the steps? Or are there more important SOUND QUALITY related differences?

A good reference for the different 10 series modules is available at the Audio Toy Shop web site.

Mac support

I'm not sure if the 1089 is listed there or not.

anonymous Sun, 06/17/2001 - 09:21

Hello,

I researched this very question before i bought my Neve modules, and both Brent Averil and Geoff Tanner agree that the 1089 IS a 1073, with the exception of the order of gain levels on the line inputs only.

They are less collectable without the 1073 number, but they are also cheaper.

I love my 1089's, and I'm glad such a thing exists. For guys like me, who use this stuff rather than collecting and investing, the 1089 is great.

There may also be an issue of a relay with the 1089, but that is how it interfaces with the console, so if you buy it racked (say from Averil) the relay will have been removed.

x

User login