Skip to main content

Does anyone know the significant difference between the dbx 160 and the dbx 161 besides balanced vs unbalanced? is it only the transformers?

I have inherited a pair of 161 and would like to make them into the 160 if it is at all a reasonable project.

any advice, info, links would be hugely appreciated!

thanks

FAQ

What's the difference between the DBX 160 vs DBX 161

The Model 161 is nearly the same as the 160, but is priced for the smaller studio, or the semi-pro user. It has the same advanced rms detection and feed-forward circuitry as Model 160, but it lacks turn-on/turn-off transient protection, and ground-loop compensation.

Comments

anonymous Fri, 12/20/2002 - 18:58

Here is what the 160/161 manual states regarding the difference between the two models:

"The model 160 is a fully professional compressor/limiter with a balanced differential input with an automatic ground-loop compensated output (hum resulting from any ground loop at the output is automatically sensed and attenuated at least 40dB), and with a special protection circuit that blocks power turn-on and turn-off transients from the output.

"The model 161 is nearly the same as the 160, but is priced for the smaller studio, or the semi-pro user. It has the same advanced rms detection and feed-forward circuitry as Model 160, but it lacks turn-on/turn-off transient protection, and ground-loop compensation. The 161’s input and output are unbalanced and terminated in RCA-type phono jacks."

My guess is the main (practical) difference is the use of transformers to balance the O, unless they used opamps to balance them (I can't get the schematic part of the manual to load, so I can only speculate
)

Hope this helps.

Peace,

Joel