Skip to main content

Hi guys, i have just finished building a baby animal preamp kit to use with my Delta 1010 soundcard. I was wondering the best way to connect to the soundcard and whether there are any settings in the control panel to allow me to optimise the quality of my recordings.

Would i imagine its a means of simply going from the baby animal preamp output to the RCA input of the Delta card?

Cheers,
Spiro

Topic Tags

Comments

Boswell Sun, 09/21/2008 - 10:17

igotnosmoke wrote: Would i imagine its a means of simply going from the baby animal preamp output to the RCA input of the Delta card?

Assuming you really have the Delta 1010 and not the Delta 1010LT, take balanced leads from the pre-amp outputs into the 1/4" TRS jacks of the Delta 1010. Use the +4dBu switch settings.

Space Sun, 09/21/2008 - 12:49

The manual has these answers. Also, there should be a Delta 1010lt configuration icon in the system tray that allows some of the quality changes you may want.

Channel 1 and channel 2 have d.i.p. jumper controlled switches directly on the card. They can be configured for -10 or +4 of these two channels and only these two channels :)

Boswell Mon, 09/22/2008 - 03:02

To take an unbalanced output from the Baby Animal, you need to use only pins 2 (hot) and 1 (ground) on the output XLR. Feed these into the phono (RCA) connectors on channels 1 and 2 of the Delta 1010LT and set the level switches to +4dBu as Space advised.

You may get some low-level hum in this configuration, in which case we will have to experiment a bit more with the interconnect and the powering.

Be warned - the BA is capable of producing large outputs, and it is easy to overdrive the inputs of a Delta 1010LT. You won't do any damage, but you won't be able to run the BA as hot as you would normally want to do unless you attenuate the output.

Which Baby Animal kit have you built, which op amps are you using and which power supply?

igotnosmoke Mon, 09/22/2008 - 16:36

thanks for your advice guys, i haven't yet looked into adjusting the jumpers of the Delta.. i will give that a shot

it is the baby animal dual featuring a JLM99V Opamp and OEP262A3C input transformer... do you envision there being a bottleneck regarding gain even if set correctly??.. if so.. i would consider buying a new sound card.

cheers,
spiro