Skip to main content

The equipment I have is this:

Mbox
Yamaha MG12/4 mixer
Yamaha PSR-172 keyboard
Kawai FS-690 keyboard (for midi control) - decent keyboard for being old
Maxtor 80GB external Harddrive
USB Midisport 2x2
2 pairs of Sony MDR-V150 headphones (one for monitoring through mixer, one for Mbox)
M Audio C02 Digital Converter
KLH CDR-2000 Cd Player/Recorder
Naxa nx-982 microphone
Gateway M305 laptop computer w/512 ram, 2.40Ghz processor
ART X-11 Midi master controller

I am having trouble playing back more than two tracks of audio. Right now I have three audio tracks, along with a midi track recorded; but when I go to play back I keep getting this message. Can anyone help me with solving this issue? Am I doing something wrong? Much Thanks.

Comments

stickers Thu, 03/24/2005 - 20:16

go to digidesign.com and go to their answer base page and type in the error message. here's one answer there:

"In one case making all Energy Saver controls set to Never and unchecking "Put hard disk to sleep when possible" resolved the problem."

there are 2 pages related to this error in the digidesign site.

jdsdj98 Fri, 03/25/2005 - 16:31

Did you take stickers' advice and look for yourself on digidesign's website in the DUC? Have you called Digidesign tech support yet?

Those are the first places to start when dealing with issues specific to Pro Tools. There is a pleothora of information out there that you yourself can find if you will take the initiative rather than waiting for an answer here. And if you dig and find it yourself, you will probably learn 4 other things in addition.

BigTrey Sat, 03/26/2005 - 08:12

Jd:

I did take stickers advice and looked at digi's website. I wasn't just waiting around for an answer. I did try some of the suggestions offered, but that didn't work until I changed the drum track from stereo to mono. So does that mean I have to make all tracks mono and then mix them down to a stereo track? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

jdsdj98 Sat, 03/26/2005 - 10:11

No, it shouldn't make a difference whether you're dealing with stereo or mono tracks. The problem is more fundamental than that and while it's good that you found a work around, it doesn't address the issue. To me, it sounds like a hardware issue. De-fragmenting is never bad, is always good, and should be done regularly regardless of what the analysis says, IMHO. Have you been all the way through the specs on your computer and checked them against Digi's compatibility documents on their website (from the MOBO's chipset to preferred hard drive interfaces/formats)? They document known issues fairly well. And again, pick up that phone and call Digi's tech support if you're having problems resolving this issue on your own. That's what tech support is there for.

BigTrey Sat, 03/26/2005 - 11:15

Jamie:

Before I bought the Mbox I did go through the specs on digi's web page to make sure that my laptop had a compatible chipset and all of that. I had to upgrade my RAM though and that seemed to be the only issue as far as compatibility. I am going to go back to digi's site to find out if my harddrive is compatible. I know that it is 7200 rpm, 80GB, but I can't seem to find the specs on its seek time. I was thinking that it may be the harddrive itself because it is usb based. I was also thinking of using a kit to change my drive from usb based to firewire based. Any suggestions on a particular kit to use to do that? Just curious. Do you know where on digi's site that I can find the preferred harddrive interface/formats? After I post this I am going to the site to check, but if I can get a quicker answer to what I am looking for then that would be great. Thanks. I'll also give tech support a call to see if they can possibly give me some answers.

jdsdj98 Sat, 03/26/2005 - 11:56

http://www.digidesign.com
>Support
>Compatitbility
Mbox
>Pro Tools LE 6.7 for Windows XP
Performance Guidelines
>Hard Drive Minimum Requirements

While they do not say that USB is not supported, the letters USB don't even appear anywhere on that page. They only detail support for SCSI, IDE/ATA and FireWire. I recently installed a SATA drive as my audio drive in my Digi001 system and it works flawlessly, although they do not mention support for SATA, either. Maybe USB is the issue for you. Their hard drive support is very well documented on their site. Check it out and contact tech support. Good luck.

BigTrey Sat, 03/26/2005 - 11:57

Jamie:

I think that I may have found a solution to the problem. On digi's website it said:

Windows XP is unable to create a FAT32 partition on a drive that is larger than 32 GB. If your drive is larger than 32 GB, either use a partitioning application such as PartitionMagic® or use the NTFS file system.

So right now I am going to convert the Fat32 partition to an NFTS partition, maybe this will work to solve the audio playback problem. It's weird because my drive is FAT32 partitioned and it is an 80GB drive.