Skip to main content

I am looking to purchase a Focusrite Twin Trak. Is there an easy way to bypass the preamps on the 002r to get the pure signal from the focusrite?

Also, if i need to go into the 002r throught the XLR or the 1/4", will it seriously degrade the nice sounding signal coming from the Focusrite ?

Topic Tags

Comments

lwilliam Mon, 02/07/2005 - 09:50

miks wrote: you bypass the 002r pre's by using the 1/4". it will not degregade the sound of your focusrite.

Unless they changed the circuitry from the 001 to the 002, you do NOT avoid the preamp circuitry by using the 1/4" jack. You avoid it by using inputs 5-8. You only change the input level for inputs 1-4 by using the 1/4" input, you don't physically bypass the circuitry. I asked that exact question from the Digi folks about the 001 and that was their response.

AFAIK, there is no hardwire "bypass" switch on the 002R mic inputs. The preamp circuit is always active.

The preamps are pretty clean, and you can certainly run a line-level input to them, but I would still suggest using inputs 5-8 for the cleanest possible signal from an external preamp output.

wwittman Mon, 02/07/2005 - 13:22

The focusrite you are talking about sounds awfully LIKE the mic pres on the 002 (and may even be the same)

Have you looked at the Daking eq/pre for about 1500?
Discrete, Class A and enourmously better sounding.
I've made entire records on them. Happily.

It's what i'm using now going into my 002 in my home/writing set-up.