Skip to main content

I have an Asus CUSL2-C based system with a 1GHz PIII and two hard drives and a CDROM and CD-RW. I have this set up as we had discussed earlier with the two drives on seperate IDE channels as masters and the two Cd devices as slaves. Performance has been satisfactory and thanks once again for the advice. I am using Win98SE with this system and therefore need to use the Intel ATA-100 Drivers to get the full throughput from the harddrives. As you may know there have been some problems with these drivers and although things seem to be ok I am considering adding a Promise controller for the Audio drive so that I can stop using the ATA-100 drivers. Do you think having the hardrive on the PCI Bus via the controller card will affect the performance of the audio card I'm using? It is an RME Digi98/8 by the way. Thanks for any opinions you might have on this.

Comments

Opus2000 Wed, 06/13/2001 - 06:45

No, it shouldnt affect your PCI busing capabilities at all, especially with that mainboard you have. Lots of people really stick with UDMA66 and dont get ATA controllers due to ATA100 still being somewhat new. Just like when UDMA66 first came out, it wasnt anything to write home about "yet". It's come a long way due to new chipstes and controller cables and so forth. Have you considered Win2K? It's a really stable and tweakable platform.
Anyways, just as long as you have the resources for the new ATA100 Controller card than you should be fine and it shouldnt take anything away from your RME performance.
Opus

anonymous Thu, 06/14/2001 - 21:11

Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously considering Win2k and as a matter of fact planning on it. I am just in the middle of some songs and don't want to interrupt my meager time aalowance for music. I have been installing Win2k on the DAW's that we build for Nuendo and Wavelab and I have even purchased a Win2k CDROM but no time to do the upgrade. One thing that is holding me back a bit is the concern I have about my MIDI interface in Win2k. I have a Steinberg USB-2-MIDI and I have been finally reading that the device is working in Win2k. the Nuendo systems are installed with an Emagic AMT-8 but I can't afford one of these for my home studio right now. Thanks again.

x

User login