Skip to main content

Dynaudio bm5 / Mackie hr824

Im having trouble deciding. I have notice that the dynaudios sound good but they seemed a little bright. the Mackie sound a little dull in the conparison to the dynaudios. So its a litte hard to decide.

Comments

pr0gr4m Tue, 02/14/2006 - 12:21

I have the 824s. Like everything else, some ppl love 'em and some ppl hate 'em. I like them very much...but never compared them to the Dynaudios.

I've read stuff where people who had the Mackies went through a setup process to get they to sound amazing. They have a few controls on them so I'm guessing that it was a combination of getting those setting correct and positioning the monitors properly.

I do a lot of electronic/dance type stuff and I like the low end of the Mackies for that. I'm sure that is due to the passive radiators they have.
I also get a good sound out of them for hard rock/metal.

From what I've read, I think that there are probably more people out there that like the Dynaudios compared to the Mackies. They say things like they seem more accurate. I won't listen to them because I can't afford new monitors and if they are actually better than my Mackies, it would drive me bonkers not being able to buy them.

Cucco Wed, 02/15/2006 - 07:42

Caisson wrote: Dynaudio bm5 / Mackie hr824

Im having trouble deciding....I have notice that the dynaudios sound good but they seemed a little bright. the mackie sound a little dull in the conparison to the dynaudios. So its a litte hard to decide....

If you're judging their brightness by a store display - ignore this.

They will tame down after properly broken in. A good 4 days of pink noise at around 85 dB @ 1M will do the trick.

I heard a pair recently at the local guitar center and thought: "Wow, they sound like crap in here...bright, no bass, no image..." But then again, they were on a crappy display in the middle of the recording salesfloor.

Get them home/in the studio and you'll hear a totally different monitor.

I can't recommend the Dynaudios enough.

pr0gr4m is right - some people love certain monitors, some people hate them. I haven't encountered anyone who has hated the dynaudios....

J. (Proud owner of the BM15s)

MadGuitrst Wed, 02/15/2006 - 11:47

I agree with Cucco 100%. :shock:

I compared them directly on two occasions and like the Dynaudios much better...not saying the Mackies are bad at all, they are good monitors.

In comparison.
The Mackies have a flabby low end and the mids are a bit hollow.
The Dynaudios have a tight, solid low end and a great balance. PLuse, the have a special dimension to their sound that I haven't heard in other speakers in this price range.

Also, the Dynaudios don't seem the least bit fatiguing.

For my purposes, the Dynaudios all the way.

anonymous Thu, 02/16/2006 - 16:41

Forgive the possibly naieve question but, are you talking about the BM5a's or the BM5's?

The BM5's are passive, and the 824's are active, so you'd be, to a certain extent, comparing apples and oranges there. Or at least different varieties of apple :-)

Anyway, I have the BM5a's. They kick unbelievable ass. I listened to the new Events, the Mackies, the Yamahas, the KRK's etc. I really, really liked the 824's, until I heard the BM5a's. The 824's sounded like I was listening to a really fine monitor. The BM5a's sound like I'm listening to, well, nothing at all! They're invisible, in a good way. :-) I had a really hard time deciding too, and it wasn't until I found a good deal on the Dynaudio's, that I pulled the trigger.

Your mileage will, of course, vary. And I don't work for Dynaudio.

StevenColbert Fri, 02/17/2006 - 03:27

pr0gr4m wrote: I have the 824s. Like everything else, some ppl love 'em and some ppl hate 'em. I like them very much...but never compared them to the Dynaudios.

I too own the HR824's and I love them. I do mostly hard rock and metal. I used the Mackie HR824's to replace my old Yamaha NS-10's. I used the NS-10's for 5 years or more. And I would never want to go back to using them again, over the HR824's

x

User login