Skip to main content

What do others think of these picks?

https://www.npr.org…

Topic Tags

Comments

kmetal Fri, 12/16/2022 - 14:02

Man I think I'm completely out of touch with popular music these days. I used to drive alot and if listen to the radio sometimes instead of CDs so that kept me in the loop.

Between cutting the cable TV cord, and not read magazines much anymore, I really haven't had an established tap into the mainstream for about 7 years now.

I never wanted to be the out of touch guy, so this is a good reminder to find a few outlets for pop culture within my current ecosystem.

audiokid Fri, 12/16/2022 - 15:17

In reply to by kmetal

kmetal wrote:

Man I think I'm completely out of touch with popular music these days. I used to drive alot and if listen to the radio sometimes instead of CDs so that kept me in the loop.

Between cutting the cable TV cord, and not read magazines much anymore, I really haven't had an established tap into the mainstream for about 7 years now.

I never wanted to be the out of touch guy, so this is a good reminder to find a few outlets for pop culture within my current ecosystem.

Good comment there, Kyle 👍🏼

I don’t listen to much anything mainstream anymore either. I cancelled cable, Sirius and have been a lot happier on all counts. Mainstream music, news advertisements etc etc sucks imho. 🤪 I do not relate or care what is popular or being promoted anymore. 

On the positive note: it’s really good seeing you guys posting.

PS… I also don’t care if people are offended by saying Merry Christmas every one! Hope it’s a good one and the new year is better than the last few. 

Blessings to all. 😁

Thomas W. Bethel Sat, 12/17/2022 - 02:57

I got rid of cable 4 months ago and have not missed it. I don't listen to the radio anymore since I seldom drive and that is where most of my radio listening used to happen. I do go onto YouTube and try and listen to new artists but there is so much "junk" posted it is hard to find what is new and yet something that I want to hear. I have never subscribed to a newspaper and if I want to see what is happening in the world I go to NPR or the BBC online. I still listen to records and CDs that I have collected over the years. IMHO much of the music today is over the top, distorted and not very listenable.

I guess I am getting old.

I hope everyone has a GREAT holiday and a good and prosperous NEW YEAR!! Stay safe and HEALTHY!

kmetal Sun, 12/18/2022 - 19:13

I don't use Spotify much, but I do hear a few engineers say they check out "new music Fridays" or whatever to stay in touch.

I still listen to "new to me" music, which might be old or new, but usually I find it from an indie label YouTube, Bandcamp, or other artist saying they like so and so. There really is some brilliant stuff out there and I've found that to help filter thru the "junk" Thomas is talking about.

Anyway I hope everyone has a nice enjoyable Christmas and Happy New year!

kmetal Sun, 12/18/2022 - 19:19

Amen Chris. For me especially commercials. I'm about 85-90% commercial free on all everything including web browser, YouTube, and video. I subscribe to a couple streaming services and that's it. Tons of content and there's literally only 2 apps I use that has ads that can't be fast forwarded or AdBlocked.  

Really my entertainment experience has vastly improved since the days of cable and "on demand". 

Bandcamp said that artist received something like 385million dollars last year thru Bandcamp, so it's great to see a distribution model that artist centric.

mikalluna Sun, 01/01/2023 - 13:53
Music means everything to me. The music I love, Wilbur, gives me so much more than an audio experience. It gives me a creative outlet, emotional fulfillment, space for dancing, a culture of co-creation and a lifestyle I believe and participate in.