Skip to main content

Hey guys, you may want to throw this one into Budget Gear but I'll try it here first.

I'm looking to spend $300-$600 on a large diaphragm condenser mic and would love some advice. The main use will be for vocals, but of course I want something versatile to use on amps, acoustic guitars etc.

I don't currently have fantastic mic preamps - I plan on buying one soon, but that's another can of worms; it's also the reason I am only spending $300-$600.

I've narrowed my search down to the RODE NT2A or Studio Projects C3. While there are lots of reviews of the SPC3, I can't find much info regarding the NT2A.

I really have 2 questions

1) In your humble opinions would you choose the C3 or the NT2A?

2) Are there other mics I should take a look at? (I already own 2 Kel HM-1s and I am NOT going the Marshal MXL route)

Thanks to all who read and reply!

-M

Comments

BDFitz Sun, 06/19/2005 - 00:03

I've hear good thingsabout the new Rode mics. I have the NTKs and they get plenty of use. Some vocals, Drum overheads, percussion and one of my favorites on Acoustic Guitar.

The AT mics are also good. I think one of the best mic deals right now is the Cascade v55 (sale price) which is a great tube mic if you're using solid state or tube mic pres.

A friend just recommended (very strongly) the Studio Projects T3 (tube) $699 List and he flipped over his AEA R84 for vocals (where my Royer R121 falls a little short but its the best on Amps I've ever heard. The Cascade is well worth a listen at $499. I'd have to hear the T3 myself but I'll bet it's great too.

anonymous Sun, 06/19/2005 - 00:32

M9

Hi...

Did you heard the M9 tube from CAD ??

I don't know if you are looking for a solid or a tube mic, but I have one here and I think is one of the best mic for vocals that $400-500 can buy... And not just for vocals, but drums OH, Acoustic Guitar, and others.
It's incredible what the CAD was able to do. A really big sound tube mic for under $500.

Regards,

anonymous Sun, 06/19/2005 - 10:13

Here is my opinion...

The C3 tends to be warmer, whereas the NT2-A tends to be brighter.
If I were to have only one mic for vocals, I'd rather have the C3 than the NT2-A, although they're both nice. Ocasionally, the NT2-A might be more suited for female vocalists, as it sounds a bit "airyer".
But I must say I've never done a side by side comparison.

Anyway, my advice is: buy the T3. In this price range, this is the best mic I came accross.
I also have an NTK in my studio, but the T3 gets used much more often.