Skip to main content

This summer I am planning to buy a new condenser microphone for my studio. (I am using a MXL990 right now) I am willing to spend $350 max but if it would be worth it I could probably spend more. I would like it to be as versatile as possible so I can get my money's worth out of it.

Things I would like to use the mic for:

-room mic for drums
-vocals
-acoustic guitar
-possibly recording a guitar/bass cab

What would be a good mic in that price range? :biggrin:

Comments

llatht Tue, 03/30/2010 - 16:33

The Audio Technica AT4033 sounds good on just about whatever you put it in front of. I use mine for vocals and acoustic guitar, and I know for a fact there are many people who use them for drum overheads....Very silky on the top end without being harsh. They're $400 brand new but you could find one on ebay for less. I got mine for $260 a couple years back, and it'll definately hold that value for a long time too (which says alot). One of the best investments I've made since I started recording.
Many also speak highly of the Blue Baby Bottle in that price range. Use the search engine and you'll find all kinds of great info. Chances are, if a certain few mics keep coming up again and again in the threads with great reviews, it's probably a safe bet.

FlyBass Fri, 04/02/2010 - 12:07

From my experience, I'd recommend either a Rode NT2a or an ADK microphone.

Usually the NT2a is $399, but like Boswell says, you should be able to get one for $350 if you bargain. Or get a Rode NT1a (it's like the NT2a, but with only one 5 um diaphragm capsule). There is a special anniversary pack for about $230.

But lately my "go to" mic has been an original ADK Hamburg edition; now it's reached the Mark 8 variant. The ADK Hamburg Mk8 (U-47-like character) and the ADK Vienna Mk 8 (C-12-like character) run about $350 a piece. I also heard some good reviews of the ADK S-51 Mk 5.2 (about $200), but I've never used it. You can read ADK's story on their website, [[url=http://[/URL]="http://www.adkmic.c…"]ADK[/]="http://www.adkmic.c…"]ADK[/]. No, I don't work for ADK or anyone who sells them, I just like my microphone.

soapfloats Thu, 04/08/2010 - 21:49

Luke -

You don't provide a location, but if you're anywhere near a place that will let you try some of these mics...

Try them!
There are many worthy suggestions here, but you'll have to hear which suits your purposes.

Speaking of which - what mics do you already own and what do you usually use them on?
Is this new mic going to replace one of those, or is it going to complement them?

I'll never protest the purchase of a workhorse mic, I just want to make sure you're not being redundant.

anonymous Fri, 04/09/2010 - 14:23

I have 4 Shure SM57's
4 SM58's
1 MXL 990
a not too good audio technica drum mic pack
Most of the mics are my dads that he doesnt use anymore but are still in very new condition. As you can see I have plenty of 57's to do various recording jobs with but I'm lacking a good vocal and all-round condenser mic. Also I like the sound of anything tube so thats why the Rode NTK caught my eye, I'm sure I could upgrade the tube for even better results also.

Shadow_7 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 15:42

I had an AT 4033a, it was a good mic no doubt, but the EQ characteristics were such that it didn't favor a baritone voice. And if you have a bad acoustic space, it might be problematic as it picked up everything. It was almost OMNI in nature from what I recall. Definitely a good value though. AT4040 might be a good compromise, a little more generic version (flatter EQ graph) meant to replace the 4033.

Sm7b is a good recommendation if you have a bad room. $350 isn't much compared to what's out there. KSM44 / AT4050 / others run twice that for ONE mic easy. There's plenty of fine cheap mics, just be aware that they don't always do well on EVERYTHING. Somethings, sure, but not everything. There's almost always some compromise that favors something less. It's why there's $3K mics with 3Hz - 50kHz abilities. And some not so sensitive with super high SPL ratings. A guitar amp might not sound loud at 100 yards, but at 6" (where the mic is), it's thunderous. And sometimes you want that to wash out the unwanteds. And sometimes not if your mic doesn't favor that type of input. Or radically changes character in that context.

MXL 603
AT 3035
and others, each with their quirks. There probably isn't one specific mic at that price point for all. But that really depends on what you consider good enough.

x

User login