Skip to main content

Title says it... I had it recommended as a good omni, but I've never used one. I looked at the MG website and I see that it has quite the rising frequency response at the top end. Is it as bright as one would expect from such a plot? It also has that familliar directionality from the M50 where the top end is quite directional and the bottom is quite omni...

Anyways, thoughts?

--Ben

Comments

Cucco Fri, 05/27/2005 - 10:56

Sure.

They use these in the Kennedy Center and get decent results. The reason for the rise is two-fold:

1 - they really are for the diffuse field.

2 - they are intended to hang as depicted in the photos on the web-site.

Their off axis response is excellent and quite warm, but having the large diaphragm does work against it in the high frequency. I don't believe there is any "active equalization" going on with it, simply the way the capsule is being tuned.

Personally, I would not recommend orienting these mics as you would a traditional mic or you won't really dig their sound.

For the price, unless you're looking for a M50 style mic, you might want to seriously consider the M296. It is hard to beat and you will find yourself seriously questioning the purchase of any other SDC omni in the near future.

J.

x

User login