Skip to main content

Hello...
I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for our church's front-of-house position.
We have 4 different techs and we all have different opinions about headphones.
Hehehe...
One guy has a pair of Ultrasone HFI-650s (I think they sound good) and he's recommending Ultrasone Performance 840s (the most expensive of the lot).
I have heard that the 840s are for bass-heads.
Another guy has a pair of Sony V600s (I'm not a fan) and he's recommending Sony V6s (by far the cheapest of the lot) or 7509s (which I've read a lot of crap reviews about).
A third guy has Fostex T50RPs (he didn't recommend them, but he said he brings them when he mixes).
I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280s and I think they sound pretty good.
I don't really have a recommendation, as I simply haven't listened to enough to have an opinion.
I would like to test out the Beyerdynamic DT770s, though (the 250-ohms seem to get really good reviews).
I would also like to test the Ultrasone HFI-780s (they are almost the same price as the Beyers).

We wouldn't be using them for long periods and we wouldn't be using them for a lot of our live mixing.
We do record for song approvals and such (which we would use them for) and just general checking.
We definitely want closed-back headphones.
Would the 840s be 50% better than the Beyers and 780s, to justify the price difference, and over twice as good as my Sennheisers?
Keep in mind that I don't think any of us have heard any of our recommendations.
Obviously, headphones are subjective.
I was hoping that you guys have used enough that you could point me in the right direction.
I wish we could test out different models.
JJ

Comments

John S Dyson Mon, 05/20/2019 - 07:45

I see that you haven't gotten any response to your specific question -- so, I'll try to give you some feedback about my DT770 Pro 80s. I have heard that the 250 is a bit more subdued, but frankly, for my super precise work, the DT770 is great. The biggest problem for mixing vs. my use might be the kind of accuracy that you need. My criteria is based on hearing everything, not necessarily hearing the sound that is being presented. Those are two different things, but similar in some ways.
For my own purposes, because I know the Beyerdynamic phones very well -- I would not re-purchase anything but a 770 right now. It is low cost, and I can trust them to provide all of the details that I need. I am 62, so I might be benefiting from a slightly exaggerated high end, but for me, that is okay (in fact, that is VERY good.) I need to be able to hear ANY distortion in the signal -- and the Beyers help me do that.