Skip to main content

I'm recording a band with quite a shrill sounding vocalist.

• Its high, scream y, and screechy.
  • I have a C414 that goes through a Great River MP-1NV into a PreSonus interface into logic.
  • I am considering getting something else to soften, and improve the week spots of the vocals.

Anyone familiar with a RODE NTV? Would that be better off? I have also heard its better to keep a chain all solid state or all tube, any truth to that?

Comments

hueseph Sun, 04/11/2010 - 12:30

Not with the NTV in particular. If it is anything like the NTK though, it is likely of a darker flavor than the 414. That however is a large assumption. I imagine it will be a trial and error thing. If you have the luxury of being able to audition the mics side by side, that would be the way to decide.

Seansean Mon, 04/12/2010 - 07:05

I guess I may try a dynamic mic, I have always made assumptions that dynamic=live situations; condensers=recording situations (for vocals).

I have an beta 57, i was researching a sm7 a while back, are they the same mic?

look at the frequency spectrum of each mic:

[url=(dead link removed) vs. SM7 listening tests[/url]

TheJackAttack Mon, 04/12/2010 - 13:05

The SM57 and the SM7 are comletely different microphones and a comparison of the two is apples and oranges. The Beta 57 again is neither of the previous two mentioned. The 414 does lots of things well if not ideal. Vocals is one area where it does not shine as much. For a shrill voice you need more of a purpose driven vocal mic and likely a dynamic. Yes dynamic mic's are also used in studios. The SM58 is a great vocal mic and the Heil PR30 or PR40 are also great dynamic vocal mic's. The SM7(b or whatever the current model is) is geared toward shrill and screaming. YMMV.

anonymous Mon, 06/28/2010 - 17:49

seansean, post: 345636 wrote: i'm recording a band with quite a shrill sounding vocalist. Its high, screamy, and screetchy.

I have a c414 that goes through a great river mp-1nv into a presonus interface into logic.

I am considering getting something else to soften, and improve the week spots of the vocals.

Here is an example of the vocalist on a previous recording(recorded with a shure ksm32): Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

anyone familiar with a rode ntv? Would that be better off? I have also heard its better to keep a chain all solid state or all tube, any truth to that?

i have rode ntv and its a great tube mic for vocals, since you have a good preamp this would be a good combo it should help with the mid problem it has on some vocals