Skip to main content

Hi all,

I've made some major changes to my gear in the last few months in an effort to try something different. This leads me to the following question:

Has anybody used both a Neumann TLM-103 and a vintage AKG 451E with the Blue (Red) lollipop capsule? I just picked up a pair of the 451s and I'm looking to expand their versatility with as many options as I can. The reviews I've read of the lollipop with the 451 body are extremely flattering and it looks like a really interesting and unique experiment for me to consider.

Most of what I do is live on-location recording for local bands in small clubs (mostly rock and jazz), and these mics would be for room miking/stage Micing (full band L+R) or occasionally close Micing an instrument or two. I've used the TLM 103s very successfully for this so far, but maybe I'm just in a mood to try something different?

Anyone ever compared the two, and if so what did you think?

Thanks in advance.
Dirk

Comments

tnjazz Tue, 10/04/2005 - 09:25

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Very interested in ANY opinions on the BLUE lollipops, at least. Or even about BLUE mics in general. I'm fully aware of the whole BLUE/JZ thing, so I'm mostly curious about overall sound and build quality.

Are these things made in Latvia or in the USA?

Thanks,
Dirk

anonymous Mon, 10/10/2005 - 22:00

lollipop

I've got the capsule, and I use it on the 451, but more often on a C60.

It's very very good. If you're looking for a c12 kind of sound on the cheap this is not a bad way to go at all. I'm not good at describing the undescribable, but let's just say that I would take the 451/lollipop combo over the 103 any day, for just about anything. Wouldn't want to stack a bunch of track up with it, though.

It is colored. But in a good way.

I have no idea where it is made, or what the current situation with Blue is!

Mike