If yes, what is your opinion?

Comments

Guest Tue, 03/12/2002 - 22:35

Yes I agree, also good for

drum room mic's
3 x mic drums
vocals (esp male)
Toms (!)

I have 2. Origionaly I wanted an AKG C24 but could not find one I could trust.

BIG client pleaser BTW.

There will be better cheaper, less known brands IMHO. But for 'branded' it cant be beat cept by a vintage mic.

anonymous Tue, 03/12/2002 - 22:45

Funny but I have not had so much sucess with it. So far the best use I've found for it was for voice-over work! :eek: Seriously, I've not had a lot of sucess on singers with it yet...(But I have access to a really nice 47 and a couple of nice C12's and 67's and a Manley Gold Ref.) I like it for drums room but there again the C12's are not too shabby. Maybe I should try it for bass amps. I usually use either an RE-20 or a FET47... :confused: :w:

anonymous Tue, 03/12/2002 - 23:03

I have one M149 and I'm happy with it.
It's a great vocal mic and it looks great, clients are impressed by that.

I like it on acoustic guitar, clarinet, sax, horns, fiddles, accordeon, cello, sometimes on upright bass too.

The only disadvantage is it's price, compared to other very good mics it's too expensive IMHO. :w:

sjoko Wed, 03/13/2002 - 09:09

Thanks for your comments.
I have one here on trial at the moment, and my opinion sofar is very neutral.
I do agree it looks good, and that it will be a 'client pleaser' - however, that is not why I would spend lotsa $$ - quality of sound has to be first.

I have only used it on female vocals, and I will do another session with it today. I am considering it as a replacement for my old U47, which I lost 2 years ago. It is advertised as a new and improved 47, but I really cannot say it matches the quality of a 47.

I know a topic like this has been milked to death, but I'd value your opinions on alternatives in this range of mic?

Guest Thu, 03/14/2002 - 15:41

Originally posted by spp:

For my taste and from my experience, I would say the Lawson L47MP is BETTER than the M149, and for about half the price.

That used to be true, but Neumann has slashed their prices, and the M149 has slipped on the street to under $3000 in some places. The Lawson is only available factory direct, and as far as I know is never discounted below it's $2000 list price.

It's a fantastic mic at a killer price, but no longer half what you'd pay for the M149.

sjoko Thu, 03/14/2002 - 23:30

I've done another session with it. No doubt its a good mic, but I cannot say it is exceptional. Very quiet it definately is.
I did do one vocal with my old "tubed-up" U87 side-by-side and we ended up using the track of the 87, which had a noticeably extended frequency response in comparison.
I will take your advise and try a Lawson and a Soundelux as well before making a purchase.

Oh Tony - how the 47 disappeared? Well, when loading out after a gig / live recording, some stage hands "missed" the ramp of a semi and accidentally kept going........and going The 47 was in a large 6 wheel flight case with drawers, accompanied by 36 other mics, a collection of extremely good vintage, new and modified mics I had build up since the late '60's. They were insured, but irreplaceable. The fun part was making a claim and finding out that the insurance company was not going to pay a cent - my policy was, apparently, only valid if the mics had been stolen from my home (where they had never been).
Four of them were recovered. two vintage, modified D12's, one U87 and one U89i - that's all.
I should also mention that I had paid a hefty insurance premium with the same company for over 14 years. One thing is for sure, I don't think I'll get over it very easily :(

anonymous Fri, 03/15/2002 - 01:46

Sjoko, very sorry to read about your stolen mics.
Do you still have the serial numbers?

When I brought my Neumann to the importer for a new tube, I noticed they have a list with serial numbers of stolen mics I suppose.

Sooner or later the mics come in for repair or service. I wonder, does Klaus or/and Stephen and guys like them ever discovered a stolen mic?

MadMoose Wed, 03/20/2002 - 07:47

My anyone who's interested here's the contact info for my insurance agent. They only deal with recording studios and mobile trucks, not cars, houses etc. If I take gear out of the studio for a remote session or it gets lifted outside of the studio it's covered.

Joe Montarello, Capital Region Ins. Company 800-560-8965

Hope this helps someone. I've been with them for about a year and a half and I haven't had to make a cliam yet. Although, when I talked to my regular agent that does my car and stuff about the studio he quoted me a price that was about 4 times what I'm paying now.

anonymous Thu, 03/21/2002 - 10:57

Originally posted by sjoko:
I've done another session with it. No doubt its a good mic, but I cannot say it is exceptional. Very quiet it definately is.
I did do one vocal with my old "tubed-up" U87 side-by-side and we ended up using the track of the 87, which had a noticeably extended frequency response in comparison.
I will take your advise and try a Lawson and a Soundelux as well before making a purchase.

Oh Tony - how the 47 disappeared? Well, when loading out after a gig / live recording, some stage hands "missed" the ramp of a semi and accidentally kept going........and going The 47 was in a large 6 wheel flight case with drawers, accompanied by 36 other mics, a collection of extremely good vintage, new and modified mics I had build up since the late '60's. They were insured, but irreplaceable. The fun part was making a claim and finding out that the insurance company was not going to pay a cent - my policy was, apparently, only valid if the mics had been stolen from my home (where they had never been).
Four of them were recovered. two vintage, modified D12's, one U87 and one U89i - that's all.
I should also mention that I had paid a hefty insurance premium with the same company for over 14 years. One thing is for sure, I don't think I'll get over it very easily :(

My condolences, sjoko. That's awful that you were not even reimbursed, although the mics were, as you said, irreplaceable. Hope you run across some "deals-of-the-century" to make up!
;)