Skip to main content

Hoping for clear Hi-Mids to Hi's, being a well defined sound without sounding steely like SM81s.

Looking to use them "for the tone" while close Micing for "definition"

(I read that somewhere here, I think, and its been a helpful way to listen. Thanks.)

Im limited to about $500, maybe $600 if there is no other considerable option.

What can you suggest?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 05/23/2003 - 06:37

I'm also looking into ones, I've experienced the sm81 and also would like something not-so "steely".

Oktava (from sound-room.com) seem like a great value for this price range - many people I've heard like it better then their KM184's!!

I've also been trying to find more out about these Crown CM700's - which I haven't heard anything bad about either. But the lack of comments makes me wonder. These are comparable to AT4041, but some say sound smoother then AT4051.

Then there are NT5's which may be a bit darker. I've not heard anything bad about these, but they are definitely not expensive, so might not be a great value in the long run.

I don't know for sure, just sharing what I've learned so far.

cheers :)

anonymous Fri, 05/23/2003 - 10:14

I'd like to drop in a vote for the NT5. They work very well of drum OH - One of the purposes I bought them for. They seem to have a bit less "sizzle" than 451s but for the price they sound great and I never regret the sound they provide.

They also work well for acoustic guitar. We just wrapped up tracking of a band and all guitar and mandolin were done with either a single NT5 or an XY pair. I liked it and the band had never heard the guitar sound so good.

So that's my vote.

--JTL

anonymous Fri, 05/23/2003 - 11:29

I'm also in doubt of which mic i'll be buying to record a hihat. I now have the following types to choose from:

Rode NT5
AKG 451
AKG c1000s

Which one would be the best mic for hihats/cymbals. Out of these three. I hear almost everybody is using the 451's. But are they really the best in their priceclass??

KurtFoster Fri, 05/23/2003 - 12:05

Originally posted by DmDreams Sound Design:
I'm also in doubt of which mic i'll be buying to record a hihat. I now have the following types to choose from:

Rode NT5
AKG 451
AKG c1000s

Which one would be the best mic for hihats/cymbals. Out of these three. I hear almost everybody is using the 451's. But are they really the best in their priceclass??

The C1000s is a pretty unremarkable mic. Not favored at all. My fave of the bunch is the 451 but the Rode is a good choice also. The 451 is probably a bit brighter sounding than the NT5. A lot of members who have bought the NT5's have later gone back and purchased 451's. I have never heard anyone say anything about wanting a different mic after they have purchased the 451's.. Kurt

x

User login