Skip to main content

Please give me any personal advice, experience, or knowledge of this microphone:

RODE NT2000

http://www.rodemic.com/?pagename=Products&product=NT2000

This microphone will be mainly used to record rap vocals. It's future uses would possibly be some r&b work, acoustic guitar and adult contemporary singing recordings. But as stated it's main use will be for rap vocals and that is it's most important use. It's main residence will be in a home studio, though it will also be carried out for use in professional studios (rarely).

Comments

moonbaby Fri, 09/22/2006 - 15:08

The NT2000 is a very good LDC at a very attractive price. The multi-pattern design lets you "tighten" the pick-up pattern in a crappy room, or "widen" the pattern to take advantage of a good room. BUT...
IMHO, I question a LDC mic for rap vocals. If you want attitude, a bit of "edge" and color, that's not your best choice. I would suggest a Shure SM7b (even a 58!) or an E-V RE-20. These are dynamic mics that let the talent really "eat the mic" like the rap artists I've seen tend to do.
Leave the LDC mics for the R & B singers, acoustic instruments, etc.

anonymous Fri, 09/22/2006 - 16:42

I picked one up about two weeks ago, and from the little I have recorded with it, I really like it. It just sits perfectly in the mix, and is very clear and transparent. Like someone else said though, it doesn't really add any color. So another words its very HONEST sounding. That's my only complaint, is I wish it added just a tad bit more warmth and color.

anonymous Sat, 09/23/2006 - 08:28

I have had a pair for over a year now and find them to be very versatile. I have used them for toms, drum oh's, front of kick, acoustic Gtr, Gtr Amp all with good results. I have a botaload of mics to choose from including Neumanns, Senns, shures, AKG.s etc.. so it is not my only choice.

I will say that it is not my top choice for Vox but will do a good enough job if needed in a pinch. They are great mics IMHO and will serve most engineers very well. You may want to consider an AKG 414 if you are planning on using it for ac gtr and Vox - just a consideration , cheers!