Skip to main content

I just added an old blackface ADAT to my system ... Celeron 1G, 512m RAM, 7200 rpm HDs, Delta 1010 audio card, WinME. I'd like to find someone running a similar system (i.e., adding an ADAT to an existing hard-drive recording setup) with the same hardware (Deltas). Mainly, I'm wondering about importing tracks from the ADAT to Cakewalk or Sonar (I have both) to then work with them on the computer -- mixing, effects, etc.

For example, it seems like I should be able to synch tracks in Cakewalk/Sonar with tracks that live on the ADAT. Or can I? Would I need to import tracks from the ADAT to the software in order to play them all together. Worried about latency and dropouts.

Anybody with war stories about this setup? Or will I be writing the book?

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Tue, 01/08/2002 - 10:36

Well, I dont have those setups but I'll go over the synch part of it for ya...you will need a way to synch the ADAT to the card and the system!!
If you had a BRC you could run MIDI to it and control it via MTC!!
If you dont have a BRC than you will need some way of getting the ADAT sync connector to your PC! Some cards offer the Adat Sync cable on it so you can..I dont think that the Delta card has that!
There is a JL Cooper Datasync 2 that takes Midi and converts it to an Adat Sync format..that would be your best bet
As long as you have that setup you can fly the tracks in and out or fly them in and then mix with another tape.
Sending the tracks into the system would be a hell of a lot easier to deal with instead of dealing with lock up timing and so forth!!
Opus

oxyent Tue, 01/22/2002 - 12:08

Over the weekend I added a Delta 1010ai (the "ai" stands for "Adat interface") to the setup and other weirdness developed. The documentation for the 1010ai (I'm connecting it to my Delta 1010 card) says you have to select "wordclock" as your master timing source. When I opened an existing project and selected Wordclock the whole thing slowed down ... and not just a little, either.

You're supposed to be able to dowload 8 tracks at a time through the TOSlink (optical) cable. I couldn't try that because the 1010ai arrived damaged and the optical out port was DOA. New unit is on the way.

I'm beginning to think the best I'll be able to do is record 8 tracks on the Adat and then import 'em from the analog outs (which means converting to analog and back to digital) ... not what I had in mind.

If anyone has any input, I'd appreciate it ... if not, I'll just keep everyone apprised of my experiences (just in case someone else is thinking of doing this).

oxyent Wed, 02/06/2002 - 09:28

Got the new 1010ai and it was all in one piece this time. Hooked up the TOSlink cable from the Adat optial "out" to the 1010ai optical "in", enabled "Adat to host", fired up Sonar and set up three audio tracks. Set the sample rate to 48K (default Adat rate). In Maudio control panel, set timing master to Wordclock. In Sonar, set timing master to "external". Set track one "source" to "left delta 1010 1/2"; track two set to "right delta 1010 1/2", track three set to "left delta 1010 3/4". Fired up "record" and pushed Adat "play". Results: three (count 'em) three audio tracks all stereo, all identical, all carrying info from Adat channels 1 and 2. Channel 3 (which had the vocal) did not arrive. Maudio documentation on 1010 and 1010ai is sparce. Sonar doesn't devote a chapter to this kind of set up (like they OUGHT to) either. So ... anybody know where I can go for help, other than to the Chaplain?

x

User login