Skip to main content

Your Fav De-esser

Member for

18 years 5 months
What is your favorite dedicated outboard De-esser (not plugins)? I've been looking at the dbx 902, Drawmer MX50, SPL. Which would you choose? I was also looking at the dbx 263x but I believe in is unbalanced is it not?

Comments

Member for

20 years 9 months

AudioGaff Sat, 02/14/2004 - 11:19
There really isn't a good dedicated de-esser being made that I know of. The dbx 902 is good and popular, but prices are all over the place. I find that mic choice/placement, mic pre choice, pop filter choice/placement, and eq can fix about 90% and the other 10% can be addressed by a parametric and comp using the sidechain. Having a singer with the talent that also knows how to sing into a mic is always the best answer.

The de-esser in my Focusrite Red-7 while not perfect is very useable, and I get some very good specific results using my TC DBmax as well as my Eventide DSP4500 or DSP7000.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Pro Audio Guest Mon, 02/16/2004 - 08:41
The 263 has unbalanced I/Os. Considering that they are cheap and do the job, why not get a couple ?? If the unbalanced I/O is a problem, it can be solved. There are some +4/-10 - level - switch - boxes out there aswell.

A studio here in Stockholm (Polar studios, the quite well-known former Abba-studio) have a couple of modified 902´s. I think the mod is that they operate on a higher voltage than originally, and is supposed to reduce the s-sounds very nicely.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Pro Audio Guest Sun, 02/22/2004 - 14:58
I like the DBX 902s. I see them in every studio. They work well on bass too. However, I find automation works best if it's just a few Hs Ss, or T's. I'll do the breaths to. Not all the way out, but knocked down. Then a 3:1 45ms in 4500ms out and its all even(most of the time)...but it takes time...

-BH

Tags

x