Skip to main content

Can anyone recommend a goodcompressor for around $300? I found out last night the HARD WAY why those are VERY necessary (dynamic pun intended).

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Mon, 03/10/2003 - 09:47

Thanks Kurt, I just went and checked it out, and it is actually $190 + shipping! Even better, thank you. Do you know anything about the RNP (really nice pre-amp)? What exactly does a pre-amp do? Does it just boost the mic signal, or do they generally have effects that are more geared for vocals? Is it possible to get by without one, or will I immediately see a need for one, like the compressor? I started my first futile attempt at being a studio engineer last Thursday and Friday. It was pretty frustrating (I'm hooked!). I tried the two OH and kick drum set-up for the drums that I learned on here, only to find out that my stand alone DAW only supported phantom power on the two XLR inputs. I had bought some XLR/HighZ adapters, and the mics still wouldn't pick up. Would a 48v supply help here? Recommendations? Do most a/d converters have a lot of XLR inputs? Anyway, I put the drums and bass through my mixing board, and then recorded that stereo, then put everyone else on top just so we could say we recorded something. It wasn't too bad to my ear. I was expecting worse! I very much appreciate you, Kurt, and everyone else's vast experience and knowledge. It has really given me a leg up on this recording stuff. Thanks again.

KurtFoster Mon, 03/10/2003 - 10:23

downflow,
Wheew!!! That is a lot.. :D

Do you know anything about the RNP (really nice pre-amp)? ….

I know that every comment I have heard here, regarding all FMR gear (including the RNP), has been positive. Not one complaint. That is pretty rare. Even seasoned pros here have made some very positive observations regarding their products. I hope to get a RNP and a RNC to review here on the RO Reviews page soon..

….What exactly does a pre-amp do? Does it just boost the mic signal, or do they generally have effects that are more geared for vocals? ……

Microphones have a very low output level. A mic pre amplifies this signal to a line level. There are many different approaches to mic pres. Some add a bit of what is known as color or a signature, like Neve and API’s and United Audio, while others are painstakingly designed to add as little color as possible. Examples of this would be Grace, Earthworks and Millennia’s.

….Is it possible to get by without one, (pre amp) or will I immediately see a need for one, like the compressor? ……

You already have pres in your mixer and a pair in your DAW. This is simply a matter of personal taste.

I tried the two OH and kick drum set-up for the drums that I learned on here, only to find out that my stand alone DAW only supported phantom power on the two XLR inputs. I had bought some XLR/HighZ adapters, and the mics still wouldn't pick up. Would a 48v supply help here? Recommendations? …..

Yes. Whirlwind markets a dual Phantom Power box. Check those out..

….Do most a/d converters have a lot of XLR inputs?

Some do, some don’t. Ones that don’t, are aimed at recordists who have a collection of outboard pres or a console that can perform this function. Then there are converters like the Aardvark Q10 that provide 8 class A mic pres along with all the other functions of a converter and digital interface. These are wonderful times we live in, with regard to audio products. It’s hard to imagine a product that you need without finding it on the market somewhere. Kurt

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To help keep this site alive and growing, please show your support by purchasing one of our caps, studio clocks, T-Shirts etc. Banner ads too!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KurtFoster Tue, 03/11/2003 - 12:48

Beau,
Studio Projects ® http://www.studioprojectsusa.com .... Kurt
To help keep this site alive and growing, please show your support by purchasing one of our caps, studio clocks, T-Shirts etc. Banner ads too!

anonymous Tue, 03/11/2003 - 18:02

I have tossed all of my comps except for the RNC since I'm on a budget. It is hands down the best sounding comp I've ever used.

My (modular) channel strip will definitely include the RNC, a Speck ASC EQ, and probably a Speck Mic Pre 5.0.

Vince Poulos (Mr. Speck) is going to send me a 5.0 pre to try out--no obligation, but I'll probably end up getting it due to its price/features/routablility and sound.

This site, The Listening Sessions is not even funny, how useful it is. Go there, and hear for yourself. Mics, and mic pres all with mp3's of them in a comparative setting.

Run, don't walk...

best-
.nick