Skip to main content

Has anyone done an A/B with these? I was very impressed with the MA-100 we used as the mystery mic at Jeremy's place during the ribbon shootout. I've liked various samples and recordings made with the MA-200 and 201. But I've never heard a side-by-side comparison, and I don't see anyone comparing them in the archives. Anyone?

Comments

Dustywake Mon, 03/15/2010 - 17:28

Here's what I hear - the MA-200 has a little more air way up top and is more sensitive. The MA-201fet, which has faster transient response, is a little more forward in the presence band. It's also 5dB less sensitive (which = more headroom) and can handle higher spl. User response has been a about 50/50 on vocals. For drum OHs, it's also about 50/50. Generally, the MA-200s wins for the more hi-fi sources, the MA-201fet wins for more aggressive sources.
But they are close - when ABd, they definitely sound related.
Hope this help. There's audio samples of both at http://www.mojaveau… Mojave Audio - Professional Condenser Microphones by David Royer

thatjeffguy Wed, 06/02/2010 - 09:39

Wow, cool video, thanks for posting that, audiokid!

I just purchased my MA-200 about a month ago. I don't have a 201 to compare it to, but I will say that it is by far the warmest mic I own on vocals. Makes my U87 sound almost brittle when I A-B them!
I haven't had the chance to really run it through it's paces, but I'm really liking what I'm hearing so far.

Jeff

BobRogers Wed, 06/02/2010 - 09:49

Well, I never got to do the grand shootout I wanted, but I purchased an MA-200 a week or two ago. So far I've just compared it directly with my other two LDCs. It has more air than my AKG 414 B-ULS and is warmer than my Rode K2. Easily the best of the three for the female vocalist I will be recording next. Also the hands down winner for a twangy tenor male vocalist. For my own raspy baritone voice there were some that liked the K2 better.