Skip to main content

Hi folks, maybe somebody can help me out here.

If I was to run a Manley SLAM!, with it's optional
24bit 96kHz A/D card...and I was running Cubase VST 5.0 on the Powerbook (with it's 3.2 ratio screen yum!), what's the best way of getting my sound to the Mac? The SLAM doesn't use Firewire.It uses XLR's for AES/EBU I/O's.

Any clarity much appreciated.

Kind regards

Comments

anonymous Thu, 06/13/2002 - 02:43

Ok, not a lot of options I guess.

RME Audio - makes the Hammerfall DSPs, that goes into your G4 via the PCI CARD slot, BUT, no AES/EBU ins. Only ADAT and SPDIF. http://www.rme-audio.com

Metric Halo - Makes the mobile i/o that DOES HAVE AES/EBU very good option but is more expensive than the RME and also goes on the PCI CARD slot http://www.metric-halo.com

MOTU - makes the 896 that also have AES/EBU. Price between the RME and MH. Goes in thru FireWire. http://www.motu.com

Check out the websites and find out which one is better for you. See what you need, some of those interfaces have pre amps, some have a lot of digital ins... try to find out which suits your need better.

anonymous Thu, 06/13/2002 - 13:28

Hi jeronimo. Thanks for replying. Hmm. Soccer and elementary school in the USA...shame, they have a good team.

I don't have a powerbook, I was sketching out a scenario for having the most portable, quality
tracking rig, that could interface with my main core system - which is going to be Fairlight.

I was thinking of either the Apogee Trak2 or RME.
The RME stuff has an excellent reputation, specs etc. but using any other card would double up on the converters - maybe I'll email Eve Manley,
see what they suggest.

Kind regards
Urg. Spain play Ireland next. My background's Irish, but I really like Spain. Maybe I'll hide also!!! :cool:

anonymous Wed, 06/19/2002 - 03:51

Hey stedel, USA is going far on the cup huh?! I would never tell Argentina, Italy and France would leave the cup and USA would stay... it´s a shame... well... good for us :) If we win friday... We´re almost there!! :) :) :)

Well, back on the subject:
Be aware that the Hammerfall DSP interfaces are not as good as the stand alone ones from RME... so, maybe a good idea is to get the MetricHalo one, or the 896...

You can get the 896 and a good converter and you´re done!

anonymous Wed, 06/19/2002 - 17:06

Hi jeronimo. I'm in hiding also. I'm from the UK - which includes England...guess who they're playing next!!! Thought Italy lost their own game, like Ireland, but I love watching Korea play!

Manley give you an option of their own fitted AD/DA converters for the SLAM! (and jeez, they are not cheap!!!) - so the problem is how to use Manleys converters with Apples current I/O technology - short of doubling up on converters. Can it be done without an additional soundcard? Will Ronaldo sink Beckham? Ah the deep questions of life. Good luck on Friday - whatever the result...still friends?

Kind regards :cool:

anonymous Thu, 06/20/2002 - 05:02

Yeah Stedel, doesn´t matter the results, we´re still friends (but if I want to throw a kick drum in your head... :) )
Humm, I don´t think there is a digital input on the G4s. You´ll need something to interface the computer and the Manley. Let´s say, something like the Hammerfall DSP + digiface (this one has a lot of digital inputs) or some USB or Firewire audio interface with digital ins... :roll:

x

User login