Skip to main content

Anyone have any correct info on the differences between current 414UBLS, TLII, and the 414EB. I understand some of the early EBs had C12 capsules? Sonically what's the difference?

thanks,

raregroove

Comments

MPlancke Mon, 07/23/2001 - 08:17

Originally posted by raregroove:
I understand some of the early EBs had C12 capsules? Sonically what's the difference?

The current line of 414's are underwelming to say the least in my experience. The EB's that were well maintained in their lifetime actually sound good. I'll leave it to the experts to feret out the technical details.

Guest Tue, 07/24/2001 - 04:59

Originally posted by raregroove:
Anyone have any correct info on the differences between current 414UBLS, TLII, and the 414EB. I understand some of the early EBs had C12 capsules?

The first was the C-12, followed by the C-12a and C-12b, these were the first to look like the 414's of today. They had NuVistor tubes and an external power supply.

Then came the C-412 which was the first of the FET versions, the next FET version was the C-414. The 412 and 414 had a similar 'screw on' base to the C-12a and C-12b.

These were followed by the C-414-EB. The "EB" indicate that the microphones had an XLR mating connector on the mic, and a bass rolloff switch [or maybe it was the pad switch...it was one of those damn switches].

This was the last in the line to use the venerable CK-12 capsule that was found in the original C-12.

Around 1980 the 'accountants and morons' got into the act, and the C-414-EB p48 was the beginning of the end. They changed the capsule to some really harsh sounding teflon ringed piece of shit, and made the amplifier run on the new 48vdc phantom power standard.

This was followed by the C-414-BULS, which had the same shitty capsule, but a slightly better sounding amplifier. There have been a couple of other "improvements" [spelled, mostly marketing hype], like the TL-II, which has no output transformer .

There is also the 'VR' which I believe they wanted to stand for 'Vintage Reissue' [Vulgar Revival?] which AKG claims has a capsule that sounds like an original CK-12 [it's about as close to an original CK-12 as a Dodge "PT Cruiser" is to a late 40's Hot Rod, in other words more marketing BS.

Sonically what's the difference?

Up until the C-414-EB p48 they were really good sounding mics, since the C-414-EB p48 they have a harsh and quite unpleasant characteristic...but a legacy that has helped them sell really shitty sounding microphones for the last 20+ years.

Hope that helps.

dbock Tue, 07/24/2001 - 06:31

"like the TL-II, which has no output transformer ."
Actually, that output is phony differential, it's really single ended, as are Neumann's transformerless mics. It is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper to build this way. Depending upon the design and manufacturer's purchasing power (quantity), a transformer output could cost from 6 to 36 times what a transformerless output costs, calculated in dollars only (lead times not factored in). The true differential tranformerless mics available today include Schoepps, A-T & CAD, mabeee the Rode NT2 (but why bother?).

"There is also the 'VR' which I believe they wanted to stand for 'Vintage Reissue' [Vulgar Revival?] which AKG claims has a capsule that sounds like an original CK-12 [it's about as close to an original CK-12 as a Dodge "PT Cruiser" is to a late 40's "Hot Rod", in other words more marketing BS."
Very true, the new CK12 sounds so unlike a CK12 it's atounding!
Your mileage won't vary on this!

Jon Best Tue, 07/24/2001 - 17:13

Originally posted by David Bock:

The true differential tranformerless mics available today include Schoepps, A-T & CAD, mabeee the Rode NT2 (but why bother?).

The NT2 may not be worth bothering with by most, but I've got to say between those four makes, the CAD's (at least the large diaphragms, especially the tubes) are the most outstanding in their uselessness.... :)

IMO, YMMV, etc...

nrgmusic Mon, 07/30/2001 - 09:05

Whilst in the presence of such venerable wisdom I hate to disagree but here is one vote for a 414 ubls. I have had mine for a long time and with the exception of certain vocalists have never found it harsh or cold. It has been a workhorse that has sounded very very good on a wide range of applications and is a mic that I would sorely miss if it were no longer there..... It could be that I have no 'ear', it could be that my 414 has been damaged in some way which has resulted in a considerable 'warming' of its sound, who knows, I just remember listening to a bunch of mics when I bought the 414 and it was the nicest sounding of the mics I listened to and I have yet to regret my decision.

Simon :)

Stephen Paul Sat, 08/04/2001 - 17:31

How can something with no high end be cold? ;)

In addition, the excess of looseness of the current tension spec ensure that the mike will be 'warm'... but clarity is entirely a different issue. and that I'm afraid will never be the province of a capsule that snaps together.

It's a toy in my opinion... But who am I? I've got dozens of 'em cluttering up the lab... if you want one, let me know.

nrgmusic Sun, 08/05/2001 - 07:28

Originally posted by Stephen Paul:
How can something with no high end be cold? ;)

In addition, the excess of looseness of the current tension spec ensure that the mike will be 'warm'... but clarity is entirely a different issue. and that I'm afraid will never be the province of a capsule that snaps together.

It's a toy in my opinion... But who am I? I've got dozens of 'em cluttering up the lab... if you want one, let me know.

Well Now Stephen.... ;)

Hope you're well....

Simon

Recording Engineer Mon, 08/06/2001 - 14:58

Stephen,

I know the capsule of the C414B/ULS can be thrown out the window, but how about the electronics? Can they pretty much be thrown out the window with the capsule or does it have a chance? I know Fletcher said it has a sightly better amplifier than the C414EB P48, but is it still better off for flight? Baseball?

If you'd rather me ask in the SPA Forum, just let me know.

Screws Wed, 08/08/2001 - 06:06

Originally posted by Jon Best:

The NT2 may not be worth bothering with by most, but I've got to say between those four makes, the CAD's (at least the large diaphragms, especially the tubes) are the most outstanding in their uselessness.... :)

IMO, YMMV, etc...

Talk about varying milage. My CAD E300 sounds better (in most instances) than every single other mic I've tried on my wife's voice. That includes Blue Dragonfly, Mouse, Kiwi, Neumann U87ai, Rode NTK, MXL 2001, 2003, V67G, and V77.

Now if I could only fly up to Fletcher's joint and try out a U67, C12 and actually AFFORD to buy them, I'd be one happy guy.

Jon Best Wed, 08/08/2001 - 18:41

Well, if I had been thinking about it, oddly enough, I would have put the E300 up as the single possible exception. Well, one of two- the E100's did OK on toms for me. The E350 is a bright, edgy piece of crap, and all the tube models (IMO) are kind of small and indistinct sounding. The 100's and 200's don't really float my boat either, especially in places you'd expect to find a large diaprhagm mic used- smeary. While they seem to have a pretty even frequency response, they sound to me like a *lot* of crappy parts are in the signal path. I have never messed with the live mics.

I agree, though- they seemed to (accident or not) get the E 300 a lot closer to right...

Originally posted by Screws:

Talk about varying milage. My CAD E300 sounds better (in most instances) than every single other mic I've tried on my wife's voice. That includes Blue Dragonfly, Mouse, Kiwi, Neumann U87ai, Rode NTK, MXL 2001, 2003, V67G, and V77.

Now if I could only fly up to Fletcher's joint and try out a U67, C12 and actually AFFORD to buy them, I'd be one happy guy.

riconga Sat, 08/11/2001 - 08:48

I took this from the eq forum I remembered seeing this a while ago thought others may find it interesting. ( I assume reposting this doesnt violate any forum protocal, if it does my apologies to the offended party ) hopefully Stephen will elaborate on this subject here or in his forum when he has time.

posted 03-03-2001 05:59 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Hack (?)
The one feature that separates the boys from the men when it comes to 414s is the capsule: pre- and post- CK12.
The date of the funeral for Konrad Wolf’s glorious contribution to the world of audio-sex, the CK12, was sometime in 1982. That was when the last silver bodied C414EB left the factory in Vienna. From then on, all bodies of the 414 were black, and received the (in)famous “Teflon” capsule- a much more consistent, predictable and matchable (for stereo mics) machine manufactured version of the capsule, which, confusingly, to this date is still called “CK12”. All 414s since, whether called C414EB-P48, or B-ULS or ULS-XL, or even “The Tube” have the same identical capsule.
There was one capsule change, in 1993: A special version of the CK12 Teflon capsule was created, after taking sonic impressions of a pair of C12 capsules owned by Austrian producer Peter Wolf (no relation), which I had modified for him. These new capsules were called “TLII”, and found their way into two mics: the C414 B TL-II and the C12 VR tube mic, which, aside from this “improved” capsule, and a gold plated head basket was 100% identical in circuitry to the “Tube” model.

I would argue that, compared to the very audible capsule differences between the original CK12 and the later Teflon, conventional or TLII, it hardly matters to the sound whether this mic’s amp and impedance coupling is done via passive transformer or via active transistor circuitry.

Kind regards, Klaus Heyne

anonymous Mon, 08/27/2001 - 03:18

I'm not an expert on this subject, but, I'm pretty sure that you can start by finding out if the "ring" around the gold inside the mic is white plastic or metal, and if it has screws in it or not. Plastic and no screws are a no go. Also, having a silver body most likely means it's the real deal. But still check out the guts...

dbock Mon, 08/27/2001 - 05:49

Body color and serial # of an AKG may be meaningless ways to determine if they've got Teflon capsules, you'll have to hold the mic up to the light and play with the viewing angle, the Teflon area surrounding the membranes is large and
VERY white (visible). I just repaired a C-24 serial #5XX which should have had brass capsules but didn't, you never know until you look.