Skip to main content

I've read about the new DAW specs from Opus...
The ASUS P4B533-V seems to be the best choice for the DAW. I just wonder, the "integrated Graphics" on that Mobo, won't it cause any trouble? Do you disable it in the BIOS?
Is that Moco still a good choice even if I don't upgrade my 2100 DDR to 2700 ? Do I still get a better performance from the 533MHz FSB increased bandwidth ? ( compared to Asus P4B 266 )
I guess that I also need to go for at least a 2.26 GHz Intel CPU with 533MHz system bus to get the better performance from the P4B533 V Mobo, isn't that so?
What's the most important thing here, the 2700 DDR or the CPU with 533MHz system bus?
I'd be very grateful if someone could answer these
questions.

Comments

Opus2000 Mon, 11/18/2002 - 06:26

The onboard video won't cause any problems..simply disable it in the BIOS
You will see a greater performance with DDR 333 PC2700 since it will be truly synchronous with the 533 FSB
Both compliment each other basically which gives you a better CPU status on the FPU's. Plus with DDR 333 you can overclock easier and get faster results because of it.
Opus

Arranger Sat, 11/23/2002 - 10:52

I didn't know that ASUS was getting so much attention. I concluded through independent research that the P4B533-E would meet my needs and have considered it for the DAW I'm about to build. I didn't look at the P4B533-V.

I also figured that I'd add an AGP graphics card and disable the onboard integrated graphics.

I also wondered if the integrated sound on the P4B533-E would possibly pose problems. I guess it ought to be disabled similarly before I install an ECHO MIA or Audiophile 2496.

I'm wondering if this board only supports ATA/133 in RAID. I'm not too swift on this stuff, but it seems like it's listed as an ATA100 board when you use only one HDD. Can that be true? I found this review:
http://www.amd3d.com/CPU3D/review/p4b533e/index.htm#intro
Any other comments? Anyone using this in their system?

I expect to continue with XPpro and will probably be able to spring for a 400mHz processor, but I doubt I'll go the full 533mHz route.

Please let me know if the P4B533-V and P4B533-E are way different animals or if either board is in your DAW and how your system is configured.

Opus2000 Sat, 11/23/2002 - 11:05

Arranger
You will be better off getting a 533FSB CPU as it will slow down the system to 400 if you go that route and you won't take full advantage of the system speeds.
You can leave the onboard audio enabled if you so want to...the "wives tale" of onboard or added PCI generic cards are that only...it's usually when you install the software that comes with them that causes the problems...if you just install the drivers...you are good to go.
If the specs say ATA133 than it supports it all around. To be honest you won't see much of a difference between ATA100 and 133 as it's only minor percentage differences between them.
Opus

Arranger Sat, 11/23/2002 - 15:54

Thanks, OPUS. Yea, I'm thinking if I have the board, I ought to spring for the processor. I'm not likely to swap out the processor anytime soon. Perhaps there are other areas where I could mind the economics more thoughtfully.

Maybe I'll just run a single 40GB HDD and let that be my system drive later when I add another.

Man, do I hate budgets! :(

Thanks again.