Skip to main content

I have a Fireface 800 and a Black Lion 002 with the Tweak Head Mod. I think they both sound very nice. The so called pro's at guitar center keep telling me that they are not even close to the Apogee stuff. My question is how do these units compare to Apoogee gear?

Comments

Cucco Thu, 11/01/2007 - 13:23

Hmmmm...there's a reason those guys work at guitar center and aren't in studios of their own (at least not "profitable" ones).

Apogee gear is nice. The RME is nice. The 002 (with or without the mods) is nice.

I've personally just decided to go with the RME and haven't thought twice about it. It sounds great and is perhaps the most flexible piece of hardware I've ever owned. (See my post about it in the Acoustic Music forum).

Generally, I have the budget for "larger" more expensive converters and have used some great ones at that. However, the RME gave up very little to nothing over AD converters costing 4x's as much (certainly, IMO, nothing to the Apogees.)

Don't get me wrong- I like the Apogees (to a degree), but don't get caught up in the GC hype. It's not worth it.

Just think - countless albums have been put out that sell millions of copies that were recorded directly into black-face ADATs and Alesis AI-3 converters. Your arsenal is far more powerful and better sounding than that!

J.

x

User login