Skip to main content

if you have to choose ? what you'd prefere?
which one gives better and more accurate sound quality?

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 12/21/2004 - 13:32

It depends on what your needs are.

The advantage of PCI cards is that they generally have lower latency because they are as close to the motherboard as you can possibly get.

The advantage of Firewire cards is that they generally pick up less noise from the computer, because the converters are located in a separate box.

That's not to say that all PCI cards are noisy. For example, the LynxTwo is a PCI card, but it is so well designed that it doesn't pick up any more noise than, say, a MOTU firewire. Then again, not everyone has $1000 to spend on a recording interface.

anonymous Sat, 01/01/2005 - 14:43

wondering about FW 800.

I think most FW gear today does not support FW800 (for example, I think the new mackie Onyx mixers have FW I/O, but I didn't see any mention of FW800 in their specs --did I miss it?)

so if you have a FW800 port on your PC (via a PCI card , or whatever), you will still only be using FW(400) speed when you connect regular FW products -- correct?

-Qua

anonymous Sat, 01/15/2005 - 22:31

frob wrote: i dont know about OS support but i think the new RME fireface is fw800, the majore benifet of fw is you cant use a pci card in a laptop so fw/usb is nessesary.

Yup - RME Fireface800 is FW-800 hardware - however, it only comes into play when you use more than one fireface (you can link up to three of them together for use at the same time). If you're only using one fireface800 - you won't notice any difference if you use the FW800 port or the FW400 port (from what i've read, anyway).