Skip to main content

Hello, friends!

I'm newbie here but I have recording audio by years..

I'm thinking about use a presonuns StudioLive16.4.2 (or 2 linked units) with a dual core notebook that have not a firewire port so I would buy a firewire express card.

Does anybody knows if these firewire express cards are ok with the studiolives?

Very Thanx!

Comments

audiokid Mon, 12/27/2010 - 12:07

Welcome to recording.org!
I have the Studio Live 24.4.2 so I'm interested in learning any tips and tricks. So far I'm not having any issues with mine but I'm not linking two Studio Lives together.

Check out this thread over at PreSonus :[[url=http://[/URL]="http://forums.preso…"]STUDIO LIVE STOPS RECORDING WITH CAPTURE ON PC[/]="http://forums.preso…"]STUDIO LIVE STOPS RECORDING WITH CAPTURE ON PC[/]
Something about ( IRQ Sharing is on the firewire device ) if I recall are an important tweak and not so much the actual card. I know nothing about this but bookmarked it for future.
I generally look and search for problems rather than solutions when trying to find the pros and cons to everything.

I look for problems, not all the good stuff. You find out the truth a lot faster.

Also, I say this alot, contact PCAudioLabs.com for specific cards they recommend. I always ask custom PC builders questions about things like this. They are the ones that test cards out on their DAW systems. Out of all the DAW systems I have here, PCAudioLabs rock. I believe they were specifically doing a test with PreSonus last month so its a good time to ask questions.

Please let us know how you are making out. What a very cool console, I love mine!

nuestro Mon, 12/27/2010 - 12:46

Hello, audiokid !!

First thanks for the fast reply. I have a profire 2626 audio interface and some time ago I had some issues with IRQ´s with my firewire interface (via) and the solution was to disable the onboard firewire interface and put another pci firewire card. This worked for me even that the new pci firewire card have a via chipset too !!

But it was with a desktop computer.. Now I´m in love with studiolive system and planning to use the desktop computer and my notebook. I have no experience with notebooks. Until today I didn´t know what an express card was:biggrin:

I´ll check pcaudiolabs.. It seems to be the best way to have sure that I´ll succeed with studiolives, because Í love my profire too and need to be sure about the studiolives.

Very thanx again

Anyone with some more experiences with studiolives on notebooks?

TheJackAttack Mon, 12/27/2010 - 15:01

What is the operating system of the laptop? What is the chipset for the Express Card/firewire?

I use several laptops with the heinously offending Ricoh drivers. They can be made to work. For firewire make sure in Vista or Windows7 that you use the legacy driver until you've verified the newer version works. Secondly, do not use a combo 400/800 firewire Express Card. If you have both types of firewire then simply get both cards. Or purchase the firewire 800 (1394b) card and purchase 9 pin to 6 pin cables in the length you require. The combo firewire card seems to cause just as many issues with audio as the Ricoh chip.

nuestro Mon, 12/27/2010 - 16:39

Hi, TheJackAttack

The Notebook:

Intel Corel 2 Duo (T4400)
Chipset: nVidia MCP79MH
Ram 2Gb
nVidia GeForce 9100 sharing 256Mb

And I´m using Windows 7 32bit

The Desktop computer has an Asus p5kc, 4gb, Intel quad core q6600 and I´m running a profire 2626 with a pci firewire (via chipset) without problems in win xp sp3

I´m planning to buy a firewire 400 express card to test the profire with the notebooke first

Very thanks !!

TheJackAttack Mon, 12/27/2010 - 16:55

First step is to go to the Device Manager.
Click on the Start button.
Right click on Computer.
Select Properties. Select Device Manager.
Expand the section that says IEEE 1394.
Right Click your Express Card firewire adapter.
Update Drive.
Browse My Computer.
Let Me Pick....(a box will appear with three drivers)
Select 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)
Click Next
Follow remaining screen directions. Restart your computer.

You should disable the onboard firewire on a Ricoh machine as it will be useless for anything audio related. That processor is a Socket P and is older technology. It also means your memory bus is likely an ICH6 or 7 which should work enough for 8 channels or fewer of 44.1k/24 recording. No telling for sure without playing with your particular machine. Win7 is not the limiting factor here but the laptop chipset is. Remember to disable all the networking as well.

nuestro Mon, 12/27/2010 - 17:06

I´ll buy a firewire express card with texas instruments chipset. In my country it´s not easy to find good chipset stuff. Most sellers don´t know what they are selling :( but I found a firewire 400 only interface with texas instruments chipset.

Then I´ll configure like you said. I´ve done something like that with my desktop computer when I bought my profire 2626

Thank you all very much