Skip to main content

Can someone recommend a combination firewire/usb card for my Power Mac 9600/350 upgraded with a Newer G3 500/250, OS 8.6?

I'm pretty sure I'll have to upgrade my OS to at least 9.04, or even 9.1

I'm using a Pro Tools Mix Plus system. Will my PCI bus be overloaded if I install a PCI firewire/usb card?

I know that Orangemicro and Ratoc make these cards, is anyone using them or can steer me to the best solution?

(some of you will say "how about a new computer"?)

Thanks.

Topic Tags

Comments

Opus2000 Fri, 04/12/2002 - 11:08

Yeah...usually a new computer will do it..sorry, had to say it....lol

Orange cards would be your best bet as more people have better luck with those plus more people reccomend them anyways.
Depending on what is being used in your system is what is going to be the factor to whether or not you will overload your PCI bus. How many PT cards do you have installed? How many channels do you run?
If you have an upgraded chip then you should be fine and yes, reccomending upgrading the OS for the USB/Firewire. I take it you only want USB 1.1? Not sure whether or not there is USB 2.0 support on the older OS or not.
Opus

anonymous Mon, 04/15/2002 - 15:30

Hey Opus,

I just got the Orangemicro combo USB/firewire card. Haven't had a chance to install it yet, but I also ordered OS x (has OS 9.1 cd which I need) and I am also upgrading my Pro Tools from 5.0 to 5.1

Digi told me I shouldn't have a problem with the Orangemicro card messing with the PCI bus.

Can't wait to dig in!!