Skip to main content

The first clip is with the mics where the neck and body connect

http://www.jetrecording.com/AcousticMS.mp3

The second is with mics in front of the sound hole.

http://www.jetrecording.com/AcousticMSnearertohole.mp3

both are mics are about 7-8 inches away..

tell me what you think.. which i better or worse...

Topic Tags

Comments

RemyRAD Sun, 01/08/2006 - 23:54

Well Sticky, I liked both. Although when I listen carefully to both, initially I liked the stereo space better with your first example but your second example was a little more mellow and mono.

I came to the conclusion that your matrix channels were swapped. I arrived at this conclusion by using the vocal cut method of reducing center information and instantly got more low-end bass on your first example. It should have been the opposite effect. By adding out of phase center middle to the mix, it should have reduced low-end response but instead, it increased it, indicating that your matrix was backwards. I dematrixed your first example and believe it's possible that you had the channels reversed when you decoded the matrix? I heard what I thought was figure 8 in the left Channel and middle microphone in the right Channel? So I'm not quite sure you got your first example correct? Again it all depends on whether you like a broader space or a tighter more mellow and intimate sound? Either way it all sounds lovely.

So good job Sticky!
wasn't that fun and educational?

MS Remy Ann David

Cucco Sat, 01/21/2006 - 21:27

Hey Stickers!

I'm afraid to see this thread die and hit the next page so I'm bumping it again.

I listened to them on my home computer (Yamaha computer speakers... :x ) but what I heard I REALLY liked. I agree with Remy's comments about the stereo information being better in the first one. That doesn't mean that the second would make a bad take - quite the opposite - when you're wanting that close, intimate sound, a narrower field is better. It just doesn't seem to scream M-S to me - more "close XY"

I'm going to give the courtesy of a good listen tomorrow while I'm in my studio over my dyn's and let you know more then. I'll also test Remy's other statements for validity, but I believe she's right. It's all too easy to accidentally reverse the polarity of the wrong side of the MS fig 8.

Keep it up dude!

J. 8-)