Skip to main content

i am looking for a good, inexpensive mixer to go with my echo mia2496. i only need a few inputs, i intend to record tracks one at a time then mix with MIDI. is soundcraft a good choice? can you recommend a unit? thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Tue, 09/17/2002 - 05:25

That is indeed true. However the sound quality will suffer from either of the following scenarios:
1) using the o1v converters and sending them digitally into your DAW.
2) using the o1v converters and then converting to analog using the o1v only to convert to digital again going into your DAW.

The converters on the o1v are not very good. Those are powerful little mixers, though, and the effects are really nice to have. As previously mentioned it can also act as a control surface with a little tinkering. They are still a little pricey these days even though they are getting more and more affordable. I would like to have one with some outboard conversion for live use. Your sound quality will actually be better IMHO if you use a decent analog board with decent pres (either the pres Alesis put in the 12R or the VLZ pres in the Mackie, Allen & Heath, Ramsa or Panasonic...etc.) than if you use the O1V. The O1V is also limited in bit and sample rate so if you intend at recording above 20 bit I would stay away.
As Tom says you will outgrow whichever digital mixer you choose. All the more reason to go with the most inexpensive mixer that sonically will cut the mustard. The other nice thing about the 12R is it will continue to be useful down the road as a sidecar (drums, keys, etc.).
Best of luck,

x

User login