Skip to main content

I am fairly new to the world of studio audio recording, so need a bit of advice, in my setup I have full HD rig, and have added a Behringerada8000 to the setup for preamp mic's etc for drums and mis, set ada to slave, connected light-pipe cables etc, get audio into ada but not out to any pt session's, checked hardware and io settings and seem to be ok, or am I missing something as getting frustrated trying to get everything setup and working as should, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached files

Comments

Boswell Mon, 01/11/2021 - 09:43

Hi, and welcome!

Your post is not quite clear: is it that the ADA800 ADC channels can be selected as inputs in PT, but are always silent, or do they not show up for selection? What steps did you go through to get output from PT to the ADA8000 DACs?

When using especially drum microphones feeding into an ADA8000, make sure you trim your channel gains down so the signal levels are well below the maximum. Those pre-amps can give trouble with high crest-factor inputs such as snare hits.

Rae_Cook Mon, 01/11/2021 - 11:04

I understand that, with regards trim levels, my issue is that when I either use std mic with Phantom power or not, or my drum mic set, i get audio signal into the ada8000, but no signal output to PT regardless of what I use as inout in io settings, i set channel record enable and nothing, i know everything else is ok as I get midi signal inout, just not vocals or instruments like my drums or guitars, which run through the ada, checked optical output to 96io so signal is getting out of ada, checked that I set as slave, and 44.1Khz gain all ok

Boswell Mon, 01/11/2021 - 13:17

You need to break the problem down to identify where you should be concentrating your attention.

Try looping your lightpipe from the PT interface ADAT output back to its ADAT input, to see if you can re-record tracks that you send out of the DACs.

If that works, do the same on the ADA8000 by looping the ADAT output back to its ADAT input and checking that signals fed into an ADC input appear at the corresponding DAC output. You will need to set internal clock on the ADA8000 for this test.

I had an ADA8000 brought in to me to diagnose with a similar fault some time ago. It took roughly 10 seconds to see what was wrong - the LED in the ADAT output optical jack was not illuminated. Replacing the component took the rest of a hour, but it worked as normal after that, normal being, according to the owner, that most of the channels worked most of the time.