Skip to main content

i'm having some trouble getting a good signal when recording with the 001 - are the mic preamps below par ? my problem seems to be that i really can't get a good enough signal without really jacking up the input gain which really increases the noise level. i have started to record things using the mix window plugins- running a filter with the 4-eq thing in realtime to weed out some of the highs but i'm worried by relying on it to record with and then later having to boost the signal a little and processing it through another filter (well actually doing this before boosting the signal) i'm worried that i'm losing too many of the high signal and harmonics even though i'm taking care of most of the noise. generally i end up doing -6 to -10db on the frequences above 11k or so to get rid of the noise. i am using Shure 57s or 58s to record. any suggestions as to how to limit noise and get better signal ?

Comments

Markd102 Tue, 01/01/2002 - 03:22

"i have started to record things using the mix windowplug-ins- running a filter with the 4-eq thing in realtime to weed out some of the highs but i'm worried by relying on it to record with and then later having to boost the signal a little and processing it through another filter"

If I'm reading this correctly (my apologies if I'm not) I just want to point out that recording with plugins already on the chanel does not affect the printed audio. The recording is saved to disk before it gets to the plugins. The only way to do this is to have the mic coming in to an AUX track with the plugs, and then route the outputs of the AUX track through an internal bus to an audio track set to record.

Also, the only time I've had problems getting enough gain out of the 001 pre's was when I was recording a guy playing a nylon string guitar very quietly.

I would suggest you look into getting a large diaphram condensor mic. There are some quite good ones these days which are very affordable.

Good luck
Mark