Skip to main content

From RME Fireface 800 to RME Fireface UFX

Member for

8 years 6 months
Hey gang !

I'm super exited to now own a brand new RME fireface UFX. Yes the one that is discontinued.
I found it at a fair price and since I was still running my Fireface 800 fine, I guessed the UFX would be a nice upgrade (with a the dsp and 2 extra input ports) Being discontinued doesn't worry me a bit because RME has been one of the best to make new drivers or firmwares when ever necessary, even for older units.

I've debated for a long time if I was going for another maker.. but I guess I wasn't ready to let go of Totalmix FX (the realtime mixer)

I'm sure you know me by now, I couldn't resist doing a video about it so here it is ;) :
Let me know what you think !

Comments

Member for

8 years 6 months

pcrecord Mon, 04/13/2020 - 07:52
Makzimia, post: 463900, member: 48344 wrote: So, Marco, are you on USB now, or still using firewire?.
I still have my firewire card, but I'm trying to run on USB.. RME is saying that it is suppose to be even more powerfull than Firerwire..
So far, latency and recording is working fine in USB...
The difference with RME (so they say) is that they make their own chips and are less prone to performance issues than others..
I still haven't recorded 20 tracks at the same time.. I'll come back to say how it went ;)

Member for

7 years

Tony Carpenter Mon, 04/13/2020 - 08:01
Antelope said the same thing about the Orion 32 back when Chris and I had them. Still preferred the RME HDSPe card :). Almost zero latency, rock solid. I do love my TB3 UAD Apollo now though. A X8p is on the shopping list along with my Mac Pro. I want the newer preamps and proper Unison support of the newer apollo. All up I'll have 4 (Apollo Quad)+ 4 (UAD2 Quad PCIe card)+ 6 (x8p)+ 8 (UAD2 Octo card)= 22 DSPs :D. Along with the new LUNA recording system, that is a hell of a lot of processing power. I'm holding off until the dust settles from the Corona virus though.

Member for

8 years 6 months

pcrecord Mon, 04/13/2020 - 08:51
Makzimia, post: 463903, member: 48344 wrote: Antelope said the same thing about the Orion 32 back when Chris and I had them. Still preferred the RME HDSPe card :). Almost zero latency, rock solid. I do love my TB3 UAD Apollo now though. A X8p is on the shopping list along with my Mac Pro. I want the newer preamps and proper Unison support of the newer apollo. All up I'll have 4 (Apollo Quad)+ 4 (UAD2 Quad PCIe card)+ 6 (x8p)+ 8 (UAD2 Octo card)= 22 DSPs :D. Along with the new LUNA recording system, that is a hell of a lot of processing power. I'm holding off until the dust settles from the Corona virus though.
I didn't care much about dsp before.. Having it now is kinda nice but I do intend to use it only for headphone mixes.
I prefer recording clean. Altought I do have EQ and comp on my LA-610 and can be driven to be not so clean.. ;)
I'm also planning for 1 external comp which I want to couple with one of my ISA preamp.. So I will have some tube signal path and at least 1 solid state path with comp..

I respect your approach but mine is a bit different with external highend preamps.
Might be less versatil but I prefer the real thing over emulation (regarding preamps).
And of course when you try to get customers, big preamps seems more impressive.. ;)

I saw Fab Dupont try Luna, he had good words about it.. Let us know how it works out for you..

Member for

21 years

audiokid Wed, 05/13/2020 - 09:55
Makzimia, post: 463903, member: 48344 wrote: Antelope said the same thing about the Orion 32 back when Chris and I had them. Still preferred the RME HDSPe card :). Almost zero latency, rock solid.
Wish I still had mine. Rock solid. To my experience, an independent card on its own buss is the most stable.

Member for

8 years 6 months

pcrecord Wed, 05/13/2020 - 10:13
Makzimia, post: 463900, member: 48344 wrote: So, Marco, are you on USB now, or still using firewire?.
Finaly I try to run it in USB.. On big projects, It seems to run fine with a buffer of 256 which is nice.. (Samp X5)
I decided to keep my FF800 and use it to drive headphone mixes.. So UFX in USB and 800 in firewire.

What I do is create 4 stereo headphone mixes that goes in ADAT from the UFX to the 800 Adat inputs and then they are redirected to the line-outs of the 800 to the headphone amps !! So my setup now has 8 headphone mixes (if I count the 2 headphone outputs of the UFX) !
Can't be more ready for a band ! ;)

Member for

8 years 6 months

pcrecord Wed, 05/13/2020 - 10:53
audiokid, post: 464208, member: 1 wrote: Can you individually control EQ and effects too?
Yes, in totalmix, you get an eq and comp on each channel.. Also you get an Aux send to drive a rev and an echo.. Sadly they are not independant.. but still for the headphone mixes.. it's pretty cool..

Here's a video where I explain a bit more about TotalMix FX

Member for

12 years 1 month

kmetal Wed, 05/13/2020 - 14:15
I would imagine that for basic tracking your computer itself would be powerful enough to run the cue mixes, along with some zero latency pluggins.

Its obviously a matter of choice, but i never liked the apogee cue mix, or even when i was using a digital console for cue effects and mixing itb. When mixing on the console it was ok.

My complaint is not hearing what the artist is hearing, or when overdubbing on a track that has itb effects on it, the efx get disabled due to realtime monitoring, so the volume changes when you record vs playback. Im also weary of compression just for monitoring because i feel compression is part of the performance, and the sound. It interacts dynamically. My preference is for compression on the way into the recording. Although it's kool to be able to track both the compressed and raw signal using itb/cue setups.

The uad method at least allows the same plugs for montoring and mix/playback, but seems clumsy to since its got a seperate cue mix console, and the daw has to run in zero latency mode, so no native effects for tracking. Not sure how vsti works in this regard.

Uad has solved this with their luna daw, but now your in a new proprietary daw...

Antelope has a bridge plug to solve this but its mac only, and its their dsp efx, not sure if you can combine native efx.

Apogee has the ability to use its plugs/dsp in the session on their new desktop interfaces, but again, im not sure if native efx are supported realtime or not.

If i did a ton of live tracking id just go pthdx, which is the most mature and well integrated tech of this type, but has its own downsides.

That said you never really hear what the artist is hearing, since headphones color the sound. I just hate jumping between screens and stuff.

I think native power can now compete with pthd, in latency and power. Samplitude allows you to restrict pluggins to certain cores, if i understand it properly. So between that, track freeze, and the ability to run vsti, i think modern native systems can pretty much track with acceptable latency at any point in a project. I will test this theory when my system is together.

Member for

21 years

audiokid Wed, 05/13/2020 - 15:54
Kurt Foster, post: 464218, member: 7836 wrote: i like to record into a mix. i need to hear the gates comps reverb and effects to know what i need to do to the track(s) being recorded. that's really hard to do without a console.
Indeed.

Uad Apollo solves this but the sound of the plugs were nothing compared to my hardware before but I suspect this will only get better with each new version of Apollo.
x