Skip to main content

I have a couple of these and will be using them in the next few weeks for a festival and then for my next album that I hope to finish by 2011. I know most would use the R121 in the past, I went for the R-122.
I wanted to share this audio clip of Bruce Swedien.
FYI, The Royer website has really good info on http://www.royerlab…"]Micing tips[/]="http://www.royerlab…"]Micing tips[/].

Comments

audiokid Mon, 03/15/2010 - 22:16

and finally, my last Royer mic post for the night. I'd like to get a Royer usergroup going lol. I love these things.

Soapfloats,
Unfortunately, I don't have a comparison between the 121 and 122. I believe the 122 are a tad tigher and have a little more top end. The 122's were my choice for royer ribbons because of the wider choice of mic pres I can use. However, I'm blown away over the sound I'm getting with a pair of r-122 and the Lavry MP10. I've had the MP10 for about 6 months and really haven't used it much ( because of time mostly) and I got to say, this as Dan calls it "computer pre" is killer with the Royer 122. I how this helps others who are looking for an affordable, yet high end stereo mic pre.

Cheers!

soapfloats Tue, 03/16/2010 - 00:26

Thanks audiokid!

While I don't have a use (or budget to justify the use) for a pre dedicated to stereo recording, I now have a base when the time comes.

The main reason I asked about the comparison is this:

I initially owned a pair of Nady ribbons
Tells you I "sort of" did my homework at the beginning stages.
Or, ribbon = good to have, nady = not.
I now own a pair of Fatheads, and really enjoy them on several sources - including guitar amp, upright bass (weird, but in conjunction w/ DI), as a "Front" mic on drums (get the meat, sort of the C of an L-C-R w/ the OHs), and female vox.
However, I have already discovered some of its limitations, and will in the intermediate future be looking at higher end Ribbons like the Royers and Beyers.

Future chow, yes. But now I like to do my homework early and often.
I'll keep your tidbits stored away...