Skip to main content

Howdy,

Has anyone here had the good fortune to try both Schoeps m221's and m222's ? I have recently gotten to use a 221 and enjoyed the sound, but I have no experience with a 222. I'm wondering if someone could post their experiences with these bodies and talk about what they like and dislike about each.

I've read a few things, but I'd prefer to hear from some folks who've logged plenty of hours with both. If you have an opinion about one of these performing better in a certain application, I'd like to hear that too.

Oh, and when I say 'm222', I am talking about the older m222 with the ac701 tube.

thanks,

-dave

Comments

Zilla Thu, 03/08/2007 - 16:16

Have used both and like both. The 222 seem quiter and have a healthy sound. The older ones can be alot more troublesome do to aged components, connections, etc. Mostly used 221 with choral work, and 222 on jazz (more by circumstance than by choice). Don't know if that's any help to you.

anonymous Tue, 03/13/2007 - 19:52

m221 vs m222

Zilla,

Thanks for your comments. You say that the 222 has "healthy" sound? Healthy compared to the 221, or just in general?

I presume you mean that the (older) 221's are troublesome due to the older components. I figured this would likely be the case.

I am eager to hear an actual compairson of m221 with m222 bodies - or at least I'd like to hear someone's impression of each after having used both in various situations. Surely somebody's logged some hours with both?

Anyone else? Fess up, now!

Many thanks,

-dave