Skip to main content

Hi all! first time posting here so go easy on me ;) was just wondering if someone could help with a dilemma of mine...

Recently, my Creative X-Fi Platinum refused to record anything from the mic (SM58) without clipping/distortion:

After performing various tests with different mics/cables/drivers and a clean install of XP, I decided the microphone capabilities were probably busted.

So, I decided to get a new soundcard or interface to either replace the X-Fi, or be used alongside it just for recording vocals. I've been recording in Adobe Audition in 192khz, so whatever option I go with, I still need the 192khz support.

After doing a bit of research, the EMU 0404 USB looks pretty good (and everyone seems to love it around here) but would I get better vocal recording quality from say, an M-Audio Audiophile 192 combined with an M-Audio DMP3 preamp?

Cheers!

Topic Tags

Comments

Codemonkey Tue, 04/14/2009 - 10:13

"Creative X-Fi Platinum"
Ah, soundcards. You need a real interface.

"EMU 0404 USB"
Now we're getting places.

"need the 192khz"
No, you don't. Do not argue. All of 20 people on this entire forum use 192KHz and none of them do it unless the client wants it.
If 44.1KHz doesn't do the job for you, something is spectacularly wrong. Or you stole Superman's ears.

TheJackAttack Tue, 04/14/2009 - 10:25

Codemonkey is right-you don't need 192k. There are only a limited number of mic/pre combos that can take advantage of the potential capabilities and they are all quite expensive.

If you intend to continue recording at 192k (I personally stop at 88.2 for cd and 96 for dvd-and often just use 44.1) then you'll want a firewire interface if using a laptop. Or for a desktop a PCI/PCIe interface or firewire is best. USB is no good for the data stream at 192k and not really that great for 96k either IMHO.

Read the Monkey's signature. It applies pretty much to all brands of generic computer soundcards.

anonymous Tue, 04/14/2009 - 10:33

192khz was just a gimmick thrown into the X-Fi to confuse the uninitiated... which I fell for. I'm not even entirely sure if it supports 192khz *recording*, but the problem i've created for myself is that my work *is* in 192khz. Seeing as I cant start over from scratch at a lower frequency, thats why I need 192khz support to continue where I left off.

anonymous Tue, 04/14/2009 - 10:44

TheJackAttack wrote: If you intend to continue recording at 192k (I personally stop at 88.2 for cd and 96 for dvd-and often just use 44.1) then you'll want a firewire interface if using a laptop. Or for a desktop a PCI/PCIe interface or firewire is best. USB is no good for the data stream at 192k and not really that great for 96k either IMHO.

Ahhh ok thanks! So the Audiophile 192 is probably the best bet?

TheJackAttack Tue, 04/14/2009 - 11:01

Audition (one of my DAW's is 3.0) can down sample your current audio files into 96k or even down to 48.

Yes, especially of the ones you listed, I think the PCI card is the best route for a desktop. Just make sure you have future expansion capabilities. Perhaps 4 in 4 out is good right now but in the future maybe not so much. A different PCI card might ultimately be a better choice even if more expensive.

I'm not overly fond of the M-Audio preamps but they are better than the B brand units. I have used M-Audio pre's to make decent recordings but sometimes you just use what's available.