Skip to main content

Which one would you buy?

Comments

anonymous Thu, 11/15/2001 - 02:45

I would use for the vocals, mainly.
I have Focsurite producers pack, manley massive passive going through Nuendo 8 I/O converter to Nuendo.
I am about to get Pro Tools, because I am tired of the pc problems and Nuendo converters sound very harsh to me.
I probably get Prism, dB or Apogee and then go to bankruptcy, but at least with style :)
I am also wondering if U99 would be good (perhaps better overall than 251).

Jon Atack Fri, 11/16/2001 - 08:55

Tolkki,

My opinion is that unless you are a commercial studio or a hire firm -- in which case you would usually buy classic or vintage mics -- it's better not to listen to anyone's opinions other than your own.

Buy or borrow the mics and listen for yourself in your favorite studio. Use your ears and make your own judgement.

I know the Lawson mic can be returned if you are not happy and I would be surprised if that was not the case with the Soundelux. You will have to pay for the return shipping on the mic(s) you don't keep. So what. That's far cheaper than buying a mic on hearsay that doesn't work for you. Good luck!

Jon

riconga Sat, 11/17/2001 - 18:11

I have the lawson, my friend has the soundelux. were both extremely happy. neither one of us would trade but we love both mics. they do sound different but like everything else at this level the differences are subtle. with offerings like this from these two excelent companies I see no reason to invest in any new AKG or Nueman. I think you would be happy with either one.

riconga Mon, 11/19/2001 - 19:14

I would be hesitant to try to quantify the differences. we havent done a direct a-b and I dont think we have the technical resources to achive any repeatable test result.The infinite pattern selection gives so many different responses its impossible to charcterize the sound without specifically referring to a pattern, distance ect. The thing I like the best is all the different possibilitys. I think the lawson may be a little brighter in cardiod but I dont know for sure. So far I like them on everything weve tried. male voice, guitar(nylon & steel) congas, flute, bass(upright),chekere,cymbal,sax.Im going to try the lawson on a trumpet next week. Between the two of us we have the standard selection of 414 c3000 sm81 4030 4050 57 re20 451 ect nothing really appropriate for comparison but I will say I want to use the lawson on everything mabey because its new but to my ears through my pres it sounds fuckin incredible so does the soundelux. If your looking for a "go to" mic and dont have a huge selection these are great because of the many possible responses and the very high quality of both mics. fuck it buy em both!

x

User login