Skip to main content

does anyone have experience with these two pre's? I know they share the solid state/tube technology.

other than price: Studio Projects VTB-1($179.00)vs. the Summit 2BA-221($500ish) do they compare sound wise?

thanks

Topic Tags

Comments

KurtFoster Sun, 03/23/2003 - 00:12

I know this is off the topic you listed but I gotta tell about this! I have been running a Sebatron vmp -4000 through its paces today and I am as floored by these pre amps as any I have ever used! This includes my Neve 9098's, 1272's ( I don't really like 1272"s but some do) API's and pre's in large format consoles like my MCI 600 and Tridents. These pres are a knock out. Very versatile, they can be very neutral but BIG or with the right gain structure these things can have major attitude like a 14 year old princess! All tube, no chips and top quality build. 1497 list but that's for four channels! A full review will be available in another week and a half. I have a drummer coming by next Monday and give me a couple more days after that to finish writing it. These are the best pres I have ever used! Kurt

Bobby Loux Sun, 03/23/2003 - 16:05

yeah Kurt i am curiously awaiting your final response on the Sebatran as well as it could give me the 4 channel pre i was looking into for drums, along with my RNP...

i have been leaning toward a single channel pre for my vocals. possibly great river neve clone, maybe the speck 5.0, or the summit 2BA-221. (thus the question regarding the tube blend tecnology between the summit and the VTB-1) I am using a Groove Tubes Model1b tube mic which has been the best mic I've found for my tenor voice type.

so if anyone has any info on my original post, I'd appreciate it.

thanks

KurtFoster Sun, 03/23/2003 - 16:17

Bobby Loux,
I have been tracking with the Sebatron for two days now and it has been able to handle everything I have thrown at it. It is great for a tenor vocal. My U87 sounds better on it than anything I have ever put it through. It will be another week before I do drums with it but for everything else, it is wonderful! I'm gonna do some acoustic guitar (my Martin D28) tonight. I 'll report on that tomorrow.

I will also be reviewing the Speck 5.0 very soon. I have it here but I need to fab a special cable to hook it up.

anonymous Wed, 03/26/2003 - 11:55

Originally posted by Kurt Foster:

I will also be reviewing the Speck 5.0 very soon. I have it here but I need to fab a special cable to hook it up. [/QB]

A SPECIAL CABLE !?!
What kind of special cable?

Jeez...the MP 5.0 couldn't be easier to interface. All the I'O's are industry standard XL's and 1/4" TRS.
http://www.speck.com/mp50/mp50.shtml

Kurt, is there something out of the ordinary with your MP 5.0 review that you'll need a "special" cable?

Vince Poulos
Speck Electronics
http://www.speck.com

KurtFoster Wed, 03/26/2003 - 12:47

Vince.. My patch bay is 1/4". I need a XLR to 1/4" with the cold side lifted as per the owners manual instructions. Most pieces are able to tie the cold side to the ground but the 5.0 manual says not to do this or distortion will result. I was actually going to try to do this today. I'm cutting some new guide tracks for a second song to do with the drummer and I was going to use the 5.0 on it. It's no big deal, I just have to take one on my cables and snip the cold side at the 1/4" end. Kurt

anonymous Wed, 03/26/2003 - 13:18

Originally posted by Kurt Foster:
Vince.. My patch bay is 1/4". I need a XLR to 1/4" with the cold side lifted as per the owners manual instructions. Most pieces are able to tie the cold side to the ground but the 5.0 manual says not to do this or distortion will result. I was actually going to try to do this today. I'm cutting some new guide tracks for a second song to do with the drummer and I was going to use the 5.0 on it. It's no big deal, I just have to take one on my cables and snip the cold side at the 1/4" end. Kurt

Kurt,

Is your studio's patchbay 1/4" unbalanced?

Because that's the only circumstance when you would need to lift the low side of the MP 5.0's output. And that only applies to the active-balanced output NOT the transformer output.

In fact, lifting the low (-) signal is a standard recommendation for gear with active-balanced outputs (Avalon, Grace, Manley, True Systems...just to name a few).

I'm hopeful that your evaluation of the MP 5.0 can utilize and exploit the benefits of
the "balanced" inputs and outputs on the MP 5.0.

Vince Poulos
Speck Electronics
http://www.speck.com

KurtFoster Wed, 03/26/2003 - 13:22

Nick,
In this case it makes no difference. Just as long as it's lifted. You are correct in that if the receiving piece is balanced XLR, you would want to lift it at the unbalanced end so you could get the benefit of phase cancellation of any line noise on the receiving end ... Thanks for the tip, Kurt

KurtFoster Wed, 03/26/2003 - 13:27

I'm hopeful that your evaluation of the MP 5.0 can utilize and exploit the benefits of
the "balanced" inputs and outputs on the MP 5.0.

Vince Poulos
Speck Electronics

Vince.
OK ... no problem. I'll have to patch it directly into my converters. But that shouldn't be a problem. Just means I will have to waddle down to GC and pick up a XLR to balanced 1/4" cable. Kurt