Skip to main content

Hey guys,

Yeah I'm kinda new... but been lurking for a little while.

I'm looking at picking up a compressor for my VO chain (UA M-610 or Chandler Germanium -> Onyx FW) and was wondering what a good mid-end (ie, ~$1300 =- $1800) compressor would be for someone who has a pretty good range (I've been cast as everything from a young adult to an older male with all the characters from Bass to Tenor 1 in between).

I've been recommended towards the Drawmer 1968 ME, but I've been hearing a lot of good things about the EL8X and the MC77. I'd like to have the option of going from clean to quite a bit of distortion if required.

:)

Righto then... fire away (and any additional recommendations that I've missed are welcome too )

Comments

TeddyG Mon, 10/02/2006 - 06:37

Investigate the Millennia Media Origin.

I'm saving up for it. You and I only need one pre(Apiece), we may as well save-up a bit more and get "THE" mic pre(If this is NOT "the" pre, it's close enough.)...

Of course, we'll both want a nice Brauner mic to go along with it! I"m going for the Valvet. I have often used the Valvet through a MM SS pre - the combo is enough to bring tears of joy to my little eyeballs. The Origin can't help but simply add to the experience.

I have the Origin manual downloaded to my desktop, just to keep me saving! I've got about 30 bucks in change, distributed between various "souvenier" mugs, around the studio - I'm on my way! Selling some old gear, too, including ham stuff. Need a Henry 1KD5 80-10 amp with Peter Dahl xfmr?

TG

anonymous Mon, 10/02/2006 - 09:05

TeddyG wrote: Investigate the Millennia Media Origin.

I'm saving up for it. You and I only need one pre(Apiece), we may as well save-up a bit more and get "THE" mic pre(If this is NOT "the" pre, it's close enough.)...

Of course, we'll both want a nice Brauner mic to go along with it! I"m going for the Valvet. I have often used the Valvet through a MM SS pre - the combo is enough to bring tears of joy to my little eyeballs. The Origin can't help but simply add to the experience.

I have the Origin manual downloaded to my desktop, just to keep me saving! I've got about 30 bucks in change, distributed between various "souvenier" mugs, around the studio - I'm on my way! Selling some old gear, too, including ham stuff. Need a Henry 1KD5 80-10 amp with Peter Dahl xfmr?

TG

Actually, I already have a KHE VM-1. Works nicely, but hasn't quite convinced me to put away the RE-20, RE-27, my Neumanns or Gefells yet. Thusfar, my preamps have served me well, but wanted to get away from the SW-based compression a bit and add a little more color before hitting the A/D

Thanks for the input... another option that has just been put on the radar is the Crane Song Trakker.

anonymous Thu, 10/19/2006 - 05:49

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I liked (and bought) the Trakker after experimenting with it. It had some settings which gave a sound eerily to that of a vintage LA-2A, and a slightly different setting which gave me an LA-3A (to the point where my ears, and that of the engineer working with me couldn't tell the difference).

I'm always looking for a good deal on good vintage gear, but this time I ended up with the Trakker.

Amusing thing is that the sound engineer who helped me out liked the one we tested so much that he bought a few as well :)