Skip to main content

That Grace is a REALLY transparent pre... what is comparable to it (price and QUALITY) that is a warmer preamp?

Thanks in advance,
LCD 8-)

Comments

LittleDogAudio Tue, 01/25/2005 - 07:33

Look into the Millennia TD-1. It has what Millennia calls "Twin-Topology". Basically it's a solid-state AND a tube mic pre in one. You can select between either pre stage depending on the color or lack thereof, that you want.

I use one every day and love it. Also, it has a great eq section onboard. In solid-state mode it has a crystal clear signal path. In the vacuum tube mode the clearity is still there but it has a touch of "warmth". (I kinda hate that word)

Chris

Guest Wed, 01/26/2005 - 08:55

FWIW, in my experience the Grace stuff is indeed rather "hard" sounding [I guess some people call that 'transparent'... I'm just not one of them]. I don't know what the Grace goes for [obviously, under $1,300]... but the Groove Tubes "Brick" goes for $400... and it's a pretty musical sounding unit... whether or not it will work for your applications is another story.

anonymous Thu, 01/27/2005 - 08:37

Fletcher wrote: FWIW, in my experience the Grace stuff is indeed rather "hard" sounding [I guess some people call that 'transparent'... I'm just not one of them]. I don't know what the Grace goes for [obviously, under $1,300]... but the Groove Tubes "Brick" goes for $400... and it's a pretty musical sounding unit... whether or not it will work for your applications is another story.

Hey Fletcher did you find the Brick noisy.