Skip to main content

As this is a very dynamic field, I thought I'd start a new thread for the new year.

First, a caveat: I am looking for pro-level resolution, so let's leave Garage Band (and similar apps) out of it.

The question: Which audio production software is EASIEST to learn?

I'm an old school analog guy, and sitting in on a few Pro Tools sessions made my head ache. I have since checked out Propellerhead's Reason, which appears a bit easier to use. But what do I know.

I'm not looking for modern, super deep editing capabilities, nor midi. I just want to record some old school rock 'n' roll - live takes - without polishing the life out of everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)

Topic Tags

Comments

audiokid Sun, 01/18/2015 - 16:34

And to add to Kurts suggestions... if you want to simply just hit play and track through an inexpensive console, PreSonus StudioLive comes Studio One (startup) and StudioLive Capture . Its unreal simple.

Designed exclusively for StudioLive™-series mixers, Capture allows instant setup and recording directly from the mixer with no configuration. In version one, Capture introduced 2-click recording, version 2 makes that even easier: Just use the Record Now button to start recording with a single click!

I don't know your budget but I'm not kidding when I say simple. http://www.presonus.com/products/Capture/media

[[url=http://[/URL]="

"]View:

[/]="

"]View:

[/]

Reaper is another option.

pan60 Sun, 01/18/2015 - 18:55

Bob recently did an article on my site about the Harrison mixbus, you might want to take a read. I have not tried it has of yet but he was very impressed with the simplicity and power. He liked it enough he has talked a couple friends into getting it and keeps telling me I need it. LOL I have enough on my plate.
I use DP and like it.

KurtFoster Sun, 01/18/2015 - 19:02

pan60, post: 423856, member: 40762 wrote: Bob recently did an article on my site about the Harrison mixbus, you might want to take a read. I have not tried it has of yet but he was very impressed with the simplicity and power. He liked it enough he has talked a couple friends into getting it and keeps telling me I need it. LOL I have enough on my plate.
I use DP and like it.

to add to that, you can go to the Harrison site and download MixBus for $39.00 right now. not sure how long this will last. it's usually like $219.

anonymous Mon, 01/19/2015 - 09:07

No midi, no deep editing, straight ahead rock and roll? Mixbus.

It will recognize some of your native plugs, but not all...depending on what you already may have, of course.

I find Harrison's plug-processors to be reasonably priced and decent sounding - after all, they are coded for that platform - although I'm not sure if you can translate them to work as VST's on any other platforms though, but, if you are only looking for only one platform anyway, and don't see yourself expanding into midi/vsti's, then who cares about that, right?

The platform itself is sonically very sound, but - I wouldn't consider it to be anywhere near transparent. There is some character there (my guess is that they probably digitally modeled a 32 Series strip and built that digitally emulated sonic thumbprint directly into the code of the audio engine) so, it's got a nice 'warm" kind of vibe, and is very easy to use if you are looking for that old school, no frills approach.

HPF on all channels, as well as Compression, Limiting (Leveling) and Expansion "inline" per channel, although you can't switch which comes first in terms of pre or post EQ... and, you can't use more than one of those at a time, although you could get around that by inserting a Harrison dynamics plug into the channel strip itself, on top of having the inline GR as well, so if you wanted to compress and expand, you'd have to place either/or into the channel insert, and then use the inline feature for the other.

I believe the output is stereo/mono only, so unless they offer a processor plug that allows you to insert it into the master bus to use different "types" of gain reduction - like M-S for example - you're gonna have to live with straight stereo or mono, although a good mastering engineer could add that on the post end of things if you wanted.

The Tape Saturation is another neat feature, and while I'm generally not crazy about any digital tape emulation, I will say that this particular one in MixBus is pretty good.

It has flexible, easy to understand grouping and routing architecture, allows you to insert multiple subgroups/sub buses ( pre-master) and a solid main bus section for final output levels/gain reduction and EQ.
It's a great deal for $39 (actually it's a steal, really) but ...be prepared to pay extra for things like reverb, delay, etc.,

It's a breeze to use. You'll probably be up and recording within 5 minutes after install, as long as your audio i/o device is configured properly.

Bottom line, if you aren't looking for deep editing capability, or any midi integration (and I mean of any kind), MixBus would be my suggestion as well..

FWIW

d.

PS.. I think that the Linux version does have some very basic midi capability, but not on the version for Windows.