Skip to main content

Question for Brad & Joe Re: LP Filtering

Forums

I've been present at a number of pro mastering sessions for major label commercial release projects, and each time always noticed the mastering engineer applying a Low pass filter around 20Khz. Is this a case of getting rid of frequencies you can't hear that are using up headroom, so you remove it to gain more overall volume on single mixes for radio?.

Mastering Project?

Forums

What happened to the mastering project? I was personally invited to this forum by Bill Roberts, who said that my input would be beneficial on a mastering project planned by this group and asked me to help pay for the shipping of a CD that was to be mutually mastered by the participants. The only thing that I have received is the already cashed $10 check back, almost 5 months ago.

burning on pc (minding my p's and q's)?

Forums

hey all...i've recently finished my band's CD, complete with all sorts of fades and indexes with audio starting in the pause...

i've been burning demo copies in jam without any problems...but now i want to burn them at home on my pc...

is there any thing on pc that can open the jam file, or can i make an image, or just do a disc copy?

How important is masteirng for the big pop acts?

Forums

Hi,

I would like to get an idea on how much of a difference mastering makes for the big pop acts like B Spears etc.

Some people say that those mixes are already about 99% there and the mastering just adds a bit extra soemthing. Yet a few other people seem to think that mastering makes a huge difference at this stage.

Prosoniq Sonicworx Bundle...

Forums

I tried the Prosoniq Sonicworx Powerbundle out the other day and I was very impressed... But I don't hear anyone ever talking about it. The eq's especially were stunning to me, they were very transparent with a very distinctly smooth but flattering top end. It was a little strong but I could really put some sheen on a mix with a bit of high end boost.