Warm Audio WA-67 R2 opinions?

Hi !

Here I am again, still searching for the next buy (Dawm GAS)

I'm sure not many bought this mic since it's fairly new on the market but I still want your opinion on it.
Until now I own many mics but this could be my first tube mic.
Another option is the WA-87 (fet), but since I have a S87 from micparts, I'm trying to figure out how different sounding the WA-67 is.
People usually think tube gear are more colored but I know that many are very clean, but this 67 also have a Lundahl transformer.

I think this could be my go to vocal mic and might work well on acoustic guitars as well.

It looks promissing on paper and in reviews. What do you think ?

Comments

kmetal Tue, 03/02/2021 - 15:24
Hey Marco this vid came up on my feed. I thought you may be interested in the mic. He compares it to a Mojave. To me it sounds really good, in the way that its really not overly hyped, and sibalance and consonants are not exaggerated the way some other mics do. Its actually on my list of potential LDC. It just doesn't seem to accentuate any of the bad stuff, room or off axis stuff. I bet this thing shines thru a nice channel strip, and would be surprised if it didn't take eq really well. I think i like it not because its impressive, but because of how balanced it sounds, how devoid of artifacts. Anyway just figured id mention it.

pcrecord Sat, 02/13/2021 - 17:29
Kurt Foster, post: 467476, member: 7836 wrote:
i don't have a horse in this race. i am just interested in someones opinion on what the Warm mics actually sound like.
I bought a WA-47jr and tought it sounded quiet nice and in ballpark of the 47 style mics.
I don't think anyone will pretend warm-audio is the perfect company and maker of the most accurate clones. But they make some usable gear for sure..

Here's a video where I compare 2 U47 style mics

pcrecord Sat, 02/13/2021 - 17:47
kmetal, post: 467474, member: 37533 wrote:
If i were going the clone route i would go with a boutique maker like Peluso, Bees Knees, Cathedral pipes, who keep prices down without cutting (alot of corners). Without the enormous marketing expenses a company like warm has, and the warehousing and administrative costs, these small companies can maintain their profit ratio and higher quality.

I'm checking Cathedral Pipes mics, they seems all inspired from the U47 except for the ribbon.. Honestly, I would be so happy to own one, but I'm looking for a more modern sound, something in the trend of the U87 up front with sweet HF.. . .

The Peluso seems like a blast in quality but they are a bit over my budget..
The P67 is $2,587 USD

pcrecord Wed, 03/03/2021 - 05:24
kmetal, post: 468025, member: 37533 wrote:

Hey Thanks K,

This is an interesting comparaison. Althought he compared the TF11 FET and the MA-201FET and I'm debating about the MA-200 tube mic.
The MA-200 that I look for is 1549$ CAD
the TF11Fet is 1139$ CAD.
The MA-201Fet 1069$ CAD

The closest tube mic (in price) from Telefunken would be the TF29 (1749$ CAD).. It would be a very nice to have but its EQ curve is so different I'm a bit affraid it would not fit many voices.. on the other and if it sounded the same as my other mics, It wouldn't make much sens to spend that amount..

I still need to think this through before ordering.... If only I could borrow both. The MA-200 and TF29..
I think when I'm ready I'm going to talk to my reseller and see if they can arrange something..

Davedog Sat, 02/13/2021 - 20:07
pcrecord, post: 467486, member: 46460 wrote:
First, I would not get so caught up in the form factor. A real Neumann U47 these days, if you could afford one, would be at the least, 56 years old. And, unless you have experienced a U47, it's not like they didn't have a beautiful articulate high-end. Certainly not as 'bright' as a U87Ai or a AKG 414 but still with plenty of clarity to go along with the smooth low-end. My U87 is not a bright mic. Since it is first generation, it was voiced to replace the U67.

When you say "modern" Marco, exactly what is that?

My takes on a mics performance is there is no 'pinching' anywhere in it's frequency response and that it doesn't have some section of it's response that stamps it in such a way that every track is going to have that stamp no matter what it's content.

"Modern", to me, is about the material not the tools.

Marco, you have microphone parts builds. How does your T47 sound? How about your T12? I have an engineer friend who has built three of the S87's. He mods them up a bit and swears by them. I like his recordings with them. I would say it falls into a "modern" sound??? But its more about the material he records which is alt-rock stuff. I would think your KSM44's are right up there with some of the better FET mics and I personally LOVE the KSM32. I had one and sold it in a fit of GAS and regret it.

I recently bought a microphone parts S3-12 and I'm very happy with how it sounds. I plan to use it mostly as a room mic and that is why I bought the patterns. The mic-parts mics sound to me much better than many of the budget priced clones in the same price range.

As for the Warm mics. I demo'd a WA 87 FET and was kinda 'meh' about it. I have other mics that handle the FET sound much better...the Bock for sure, the KEL the Neumann....I can't speak to the 67 clone but the demos online don't excite.

I have not gotten a chance to work with a Mojave mic but if they are even close in quality to my Royer then they have to be in the excellent range in quality sound and build.

Davedog Wed, 03/03/2021 - 05:52
Good morning Marco. I want to throw another mic in the ring for you to consider. You can hear how it sounds by listening to my latest post in the critique section with the Ben Davis song "Scars". I produced the track but I used his vocal track completely. The ONLY thing I had to do to it was balance the levels in the track due to his mic technique which I did by hand and by word in some parts but still didn't have to EQ and there is very little else on the track. There's always a little LA2A on any vocal track I produce but this one isn't driven.

The mic is a MikTek C7e. Made in Nashville. It's patterned and switch a lot like a U87. He also tracks through a MikTek MPA-201 preamp into an Apollo Twin and uses Studio One as his DAW.

Give the vocal a listen on that track. I had personally heard a MikTek tube mic and liked it quite a bit however at the time I was covered with the tube mics.....still am. But in this case, and I have heard several of his vocal tracks now since I'm producing his record, I'm VERY impressed with mic and how it sits in a mix.

Check it out. I'll bet it's around the same price as others you are looking at. The tube version I heard is the CV4. Which is the big dog in their line.

Also on that track....I recut the bass and the bass is through the UK 1173. And nothing else. Nothing.

audiokid Sat, 02/13/2021 - 20:36
pcrecord, post: 467486, member: 46460 wrote:
the modern U87ai are ok (I owned one ) but there are other alternatives within your budget (or close) that you’ll find. After doing an A/B with a new U87 I sold it for a few grand with a big smile.
being said, I think the reason the u87 works so well is they seem to fit in a mix better than a lot of mic’s for both men and women. It’s not that they are silky smooth (at least the ai I owned) , but it was simply a good mic with that perfect mid range.

Davedog Sat, 02/13/2021 - 21:38
audiokid, post: 467488, member: 1 wrote:
Agreed. A couple of years ago a guy offered me an Ai for stupid money and I almost bought it. After bringing it into my room and A/Bing it with my original build (not Ai) 87 I realized I would probably just turn it and for a profit! But I'm lazy. I get the "perfect midrange" ...yep yep.

Tell ya the truth, that Neumann wasn't "better" than the KEL HM7u I bought from you years ago. And the KEL was a third the price.

kmetal Sat, 02/13/2021 - 23:50
I had an xls which was versatile and got a fair amount of use on vocals.

I longed for an 87, and by the time i used one i wasn't at all impressed, except for acoustic guitars. I used it mostly on those and kick drum. I found it very "picky" on which voices it worked with, and in 5 years only ever used it for spoken word and grouo vocals. There were always better options. I found it overly bright, especially in the mids. To me it was made to track to tape. Where that extra boost would get compensated for. Maybe the one we had was just broken or something. The 441, 414 xls/uls, tlm 102, sm7, all got alot more use on vocals. When i got to use the c12 it was really a step into wow. Id actually take a tlm over an 87ai sonically.

I wouldn't expect a cathedral pipes to sound vintage. When i think u47 i think "full" "robust", having never used one i can't say. Modern mics and gear almost never actually sounds vintage to me.

If i was going "modern" i think mojave fits the bill. More like a current classic. Its full range but not harsh smooth mids and bright top, bases on what ive heard of the ma2/300 and their fet mic that's a good grab at 800$.

Im a big fan of the 414, but since they've changed at least the casing since my 2006 era xls, im looking into Austrian audio when i get another one. My xls is in thr basements for sale pile, as one of the few remains of my liquidation and re- build. Austrian audio is making 414 style mics without the Harmon cost cutting. I "think" they are using the brass ring capsule but don't quote me. Tho i did find the xls had a useful bright articulate top end. Great with a Manley dual mono and tl100 compressor. They go pretty cheap these days 400-500 used. Probably worth having one or a pair.

pcrecord Mon, 02/15/2021 - 07:20
Davedog, post: 467487, member: 4495 wrote:
I did build those 3 mics, T47, T12 and S87. I think they kind of represent, as an inspiration, what people think of the U47, C12 and U87.
The T47 is dark sounding with nice lowend but take EQ very well. The T12 has a big bump in the HF, not too hyped but obviously there.
The S87, for me sits in the middle. It's my favorit on my voice and VO.

My idea to add one more mic was first motivated by having my first tube mic and After the 47, 12 and 87, I first thought the 67 would be a bit different and would complete the classic pannel.

kmetal, post: 467492, member: 37533 wrote:
Im a big fan of the 414,
I haven't thought about it.. The C414 XLS is now 1699$ CAD brand new.
The question is, how different will it be from the others I have.. Also Compared to the Mojave MA-200 ??

kmetal Tue, 02/16/2021 - 12:57
pcrecord, post: 467533, member: 46460 wrote:
The S87, for me sits in the middle. It's my favorit on my voice and VO.

I haven't thought about it.. The C414 XLS is now 1699$ CAD brand new.
i don't know how different it would be from your mics, its pretty much a workhorse. I haven't used the ma200 but in demos ive heard online i think it may have a bit mire robust low end than a 414.

If you have a bunch of versatile mics maybe something that has more character makes most sense at this point. A 414 is a good first ldc due to its versatility.

You might find a 414 or pair cheaper on CL or reverb if you keep your eyes open. They're sorta evergreen mics, just good to have for any studio.

From what ive heard in demos the Austrian audio version has a bit more of a smoky top end like the classic 414eb. Its kinda like a blend of all the versions. Not sure what pricing is like.

The 414 is nice because its not harsh. Its a bit bass light/ neutral, with a top end peak. But its never harsh. You might like it alot for overhead and acoustic guitars.

The WA-67 to my limited knowledge is the only one that incorporates the correct negative feedback circuit, a true clone. Where warm falls apart is build quality, sloppy solder and poorly cleaned boards etc.  I have two of these and a Neumann to compare here.  the warm capsule isn't great, one arrived with moisture in between the mylar and backplate.I had already planned to swap the capsule anyway. After putting in new capsules and old stock EF86 tubes WA-67 sounds remarkably close to the Neumann. I placed them head to head thru same preamps tracked some drums, sent the files to two buddies blindly labeled and they both picked the WA-67.  I still prefer the Neumann but its so close now I can easily record them as a pair.

Just my user opinion

pcrecord Wed, 09/22/2021 - 02:57

In reply to by JC Higgins

Thanks for the Info JC,

I put this on pause for now.. I might go with something very different like the Telefunken TF29. But it will wait, I'm in the process of changing my two UK sound 1173.. I'll see later ;)

Thanks for all the help guys !