Skip to main content

Hi. I'm looking to spend no more than $1500 on a 1 or 2 channel mic preamp. It will be used to record rock music, and will be used on everything. The units I've been considering that fall within this range are:

UA M610
UA 2108
Great River ME-1NV
API 512c
Focusrite ISA428

I know these are all high quality items, but I'd like your opinions on which would be better for rock, and which would be more versitile for use on every instrument. Also, since the UA 2108 and ISA428 have more than one channel, I'm very interested in how you think they stand up against the others. Thanks in advance.
Joe

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Wed, 09/29/2004 - 20:32

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone have any experience with the pre's I mentioned? What are the sonic differences between the UA 610 and 2108?

johnthemiracle, the Avalon 737 and 2022 are both beyond my price range.

boheme6, the Vintech stuff looks very nice. What is the difference between the X73 and X73i. The price difference is substantial.

ShellTones, how do you think the Sebatron compares to the others mentioned?

Regards,
Joe

anonymous Thu, 09/30/2004 - 07:27

Tagger wrote:

ShellTones, how do you think the Sebatron compares to the others mentioned?

Regards,
Joe

Sorry, I don't have experience with the other units--only the Seb. Kurt and Bowisk have both the GR and the Seb. Maybe they'll chime in. The Seb, IMO, is very versatile and sounds great on everything I have plugged into it, but I'm still lusting after a GR or Hardy to compliment it. Budget wise, you also have to consider that the Seb is about 1/2 the price of the GR.

LittleDogAudio Thu, 09/30/2004 - 13:03

I just got the Chandler TG2 in and used it on a blues vocal the other night and WOW, man did it sound different than anything in my rack.
I would best describe it as creamy with a bell-tone high-end. It reacts super-cool to a vocalist hitting the mic hard. Theres a kind of silky distortion when this happens that opens up the highs.

The TG2 is a different animal altogether and sounds like nothing else out there to my ears.

Chris

anonymous Fri, 10/01/2004 - 08:17

Right now I'm leaning towards getting the ISA428 to have 4 channels. For my first high end pre, it'll probably serve me better to have more channels. It seems as though this is not anyone's FAVORITE preamp, but it'll get the job done well in most cases. I think I'm just looking for confirmation that this will not be a noticeable step down from the other units. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Joe

anonymous Sat, 10/02/2004 - 19:42

Someone suggested Sebatron already... I've got one so I'll second the reccomendation.

For about $1,200 you can get the VMP2000e which has two channels. As a fully tube driven (at gain stage) pre, it gives fantastic sound and gain.

There are a few EQ switches you can engage which add to the different colors you can get.

D.I. and XLR for both channels. Great overdriving with serial connection (ch1-->Ch2).

Its a nice solid unit, well worth the price.

-arrow