i've decided to purchase a MAC G4 to edit my tracks from the 4416. I
was wondering what was the best software to use (ie digital
performer, Cubase vst, logic) and also the best interface between the
MOTU 2408 and the delta 1010. Is there something else out there
better to use? I've ruled out digi 001 only because i'm limited to
24 tracks. gold bundle for the pc?

Comments

Opus2000 Fri, 01/04/2002 - 07:36

Well...software..that depends on your needs..how many tracks you need..what type of editing you need to do..personally..I would get Cubase as that offers the UV22 built into the Master section whereas DP or Logic dont!!
Interfaces..well, do you need analog or digital? I personally like MOTU over the Delta cards..but thats my opinion..otherwise I would go for the Echo audio cards over both of those companies..or you could go with RME which is strictly digital.
it's hard to tell you which is better for you..its up to you which software is best for you
Opus

Patrick Fri, 01/04/2002 - 17:45

For cards, if you just want to connect the computer and the 4416, I'd suggest an RME hammerfall and two adat cards for the 4416, so that you can dump 16 tracks at once if you want. the hammerfall will also give you word clock input (if you get the 9652), so you can clock everything to an external clock at some point if your system expands.

But it also depends on if you want to use exernal converters with the 4416, and what connection you use with them.

I'm a PC user, so I can't help you on software for the mac, and I don't know if the hammerfall's drivers are as reliable on the mac as on a pc.

Opus2000 Fri, 01/04/2002 - 18:55

Drivers for the RME mac are fine..you just have to make sure you put the right Eprom chip on the card for the Mac...theres an M Eprom and a W Eprom...other than that I've heard great results from RME cards in Macs...Nuendo on a Mac is a different story tho...from what I see it's not stable at all for most people..some are lucky enough to get a good system that works right half the time...amazing..a PC version of software kicks the Mac version...how sweet it is..lol
Anyways...the part about the Adat cards is good..you might want to look into Frontier Design cards..they make a Dakota which is 16 Channels of Optical in and out plus MIDI, Adat Sync, SPDIF!
More info for ya!!
Opus