Skip to main content

Any suggestions?
I have a studioprojects c1-mic running into spirit f1 mixer and terratec-soundcard.

I live far away from everything so I'm able to test-run only the major brands like dbx and focusrite. Do they they any good in this range?

I've red some good things about joemeek twinQCS and spl goldmike. Any comments on these?
thanks.

Topic Tags

Comments

anonymous Fri, 03/01/2002 - 04:36

Hi,

I can really recommend the Joemeek VC1Qcs or the Dual Channel version (Twin Qcs). Very nice pre-amp. Smooth top, lots of balls and a super silky, beautiful compressor build in. Really deserves the tag "warm sounding".
I haven't heard the Goldmike, but from what I gathered it is a clean sounding, uncoloured pre.

Best,

Markus

anonymous Fri, 03/01/2002 - 06:01

If yer lookin' fer neutral, check out the Grace Designs 101. :tu: Beautifully clean and transparent and within yer budget. Plenty o' gain too. I use it with the C1 and love it for clean vocals. Try Wind over the Earth in Colorado. They usually have them in stock and will give you a fair price.

Ciao-der-head.

anonymous Fri, 03/01/2002 - 21:47

I've got to second that VC1Q suggestion.
I use a C1 also and LOVE it!
If you want clean, bypass the compressor and use a RNC on the insert. I love the warmth of the Meek comp.
Lots of headroom.
One of my smartest buys.
All over EBay for ~ $450.00.
Try here
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&pb=&ebaytag1=ebayreg&ht=1&query=j oemeek&SortProperty=MetaEndSort

or here
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&ht=1&ebaytag1=ebayreg&query=joe+m eek&query2=joe+meek&search_option=1&exclude=&category0=&minPrice=&maxPrice=&ebaytag1code=0&st=0&Sort Property=MetaEndSort

I love mine!
Carmen

erockerboy Sat, 03/02/2002 - 08:35

Just a thought,

I've seen the two-channel Aphex "Tubessence" pre (model 107 I think?) selling used in the $150-200 dollar range. Might be worth a look depending on what sound you are going for. I've used that particular model for years, and there are times when it compares favorably to much more expensive pre's.

One caveat: the whole "Tubessence" thing is kind of a marketing ploy IMO. The Aphex to me DOESN'T sound particularly "tubey". But, it's very transparent, clean and quiet with a nice open top and maybe a hair of midrange "warmth". If you can find one in the $200 range, I would consider it a steal.

Preamp wise, there really isn't much else I've used in the under-$800 range. Is the RNMP out yet??

Good luck!