Skip to main content

Where should I spend my $1500? I was thinking about getting a nicer large diaphragm condenser mic. I know there is no "Holy Grail" mic, I'm just looking for some suggestions and opinions. I know different mics will work best for different sources and mic preamp's will make a difference. The mic would be used mainly for vocals, and guitar amps, but not room mics.

Right now I have two RNP's and the four pre's in my Digidesign 002(yes, i know they suck. Digidesign should really sell an interface that has four inputs instead of the pre's).
Mics:Shure SM57
Shure SM58
Studio Projects C1
AKG C1000
Shure SM81
Sennheiser MD421
Audio-Technica 3035
Sennheiser E609

I plan on getting another mic for overheads(a 58, C1, or C1000), a couple kick mics(Audix D6 and AKGD112), two more 421's, and a Royer R-121 in the future.

So what do you guys think? Get some nicer mics or a couple nicer pre's? But if I get nicer pre's then I'll need nicer compressors...:shock:

Comments

anonymous Sat, 01/22/2005 - 18:11

In the room where my desk is it's fine, but the room I track in has some really nasty slapback echoes. I'm going to build some isolation walls to surround vocals and amps for a really dead sound, but otherwise the room is completely bare. I'm not very handy with tools, so building slot resonators, etc really isn't my thing. I've posted questions online(here, digidesign, johnlsayers.com), but haven't gotten any really detailed responses. Not that that's anyone's fault. Plus, I'm sort of hesitant to do any damage to the walls since it's a spare bedroom.