Skip to main content

Trying to decide between a matched pair of these two.

I'd appreciate some input.

Thanks

Comments

Cucco Thu, 04/07/2005 - 07:32

Both are good mics, but it's kind of like trying to compare a car to an SUV. Both may be good, but differ in purpose.

Since the 184 is a SDC and the M300 is a LDC, you will definitely get different results.

My personal choice in this case, would be to lean towards the M300. They are great mics and do surprisingly well in almost any situation. The 184 is, dare I say, a "one trick pony." (Maybe 2 or 3 tricks, but no more).

You might want to look at some of Gefell's other SDCs if that's what you're looking for. They are quite nice.

J.

TeddyG Thu, 04/07/2005 - 07:48

I don't know these mics, but If they are among the high-priced spread not found in the local music stores, I'd opt for a thorough hearing of them, under very similar circumstances before deciding and not very much on others "hear/say"... Maybe a seller would allow purchase of both and the return of either(Or both) if not satisfied? Maybe a "road trip" to a dealer with actual studio who stocks them? Maybe Mercenary Audio, or someone closer to your location. You might make the trip even more worthwhile by arranging to inspect/a-b/hands(ears) on, other interesting pieces of gear during the visit?

TG

Cucco Thu, 04/07/2005 - 08:59

Sorry, you are absolutely correct. I had a brain fart - they tend to get worse with age. I was thinking of the M930.
:oops:

In regards to the 300 -- it is a fantastic mic! I can't imagine much better and in almost every scenario, it outperforms the 184. (I actually have a few of the 300s, the 930s, the M296s and one of the184s. The 184 will be up for sale soon.)

J.